The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What are my chances?

SaqTRD

Hi Guys,

As some of you might know, My turbo seals gave way randomly and caused the car to smoke like a chimney. Had this checked over and it was definately my turbos shot.

So I posted up a wanted thread and got many replies. I was able to get a set for £250 delivered from a member on here (i'm not going to name and shame). The person I was buying these turbos from was very good pre-sale and did everything I asked of him with regards to checks and sending me pictures.

I wanted to get the car up and running before SupraPod so wanted him to post them out to me asap. So he suggested that I go to Parcel2go.com and arrange collection from his fathers place as he was going to be out of town. So i did. I paid for next day service via DHL and also opt in for insurance.

The turbos show up BADLY wrapped. Although the seller still thinks they were wrapped fine. Basically, a bit of cardboard was wrapped around the exhaust side of the turbo and then it was wrapped in brown tape. Both turbos were stuck togather and then wrapped in brown tap all over. No box nothing!

As usual the turbos show up to my house in bits obviously, and I called the seller up and he said that he packed them correctly and told me to speak to the shipping company.

Now my question is, where do I stand with this? Do you guys think I should be able to retrieve my money from the delivery company? I've started a claim with them but they said it'll take up to 3 weeks to decide.

Where do I stand? Should the seller pay up so I could afford to go and search for other turbos so I can get the car ready for SupraPod which I have already paid for!

Saq:(

Did you sign for them in good condition?

As mentioned they had "some cardboard" on the exhaust side and were "wrapped in brown tape"

It would have been pretty obvious they were in that state when parcel man handed them to you, more obvious than if they were in a box, imo.

Edit: I just realised that you arranged your own shipping, Your pretty much screwed.

Edited by Purity14 (see edit history)

Even if you have no official recourse, the seller really shouldn't have sent the turbos without packaging them correctly. Either he couldn't be bothered, or he has no concept of how easily bits like this damage. I'd be asking for a full refund either way as they're useless to you for Suprapod.

They don't look too good. Is it up to the receiver of the goods or the person posting them to make a claim?

I would of thought it would of been down the the person posting them?

If it was me i would refund you the money then make the claim myself, That is just me though.

do you have pics of turbos before he sent to you ??

or did you just buy on word ?

Thanks for feedback guys. Jurgen, yes he sent me pics of the turbos both on the car and off the car. Its a shame because they looked in good shape.

Also the fact that there wasn't even a "Fragile" sign on the the package.

[sAD][/sAD]

Even if you have no official recourse, the seller really shouldn't have sent the turbos without packaging them correctly. Either he couldn't be bothered, or he has no concept of how easily bits like this damage. I'd be asking for a full refund either way as they're useless to you for Suprapod.

:yeahthat:

Did you take any pictures before you took the cardboard etc off?

They do look heavily damaged and to be honest the seller should be making sure that the item is sent in a well packaged manner. The courier firms don't really care and will lug things around. If it did have a fragile mark then they would have have lugged it around a bit less.

Hope you get it sorted quick, but to be frank it could be a long process. :(

Personally i would have expected them to be packaged adequately. IE in a box with plenty of cushioning, i could of understood it if they had been supplied complete with the exhaust housings attached, i have sent turbos like this bolted together in plenty of bubble wrap as they are pretty tuf in that form,

But to send delicate ceramic turbines in a pretty much exposed state, going by your description, is asking for trouble, and the seller should have been savvy enough to know this IMO.

Maybe we need a "how to package" sticky :( that doesnt look very good at all - hope you get somewhere with the courier but if you did sign for it theyre going to fall back on that.. Ive learnt that the hard way in the past and now I check the full box before accepting delivery.

Ceramic turbine wheels and shafts are VERY fragile and VERY easily snapped or damaged. Maybe the seller didn't know that? I would never send a turbo cartridge with no housings on through choice, and if I had to I would ensure it was incredibly well packed, as even steel wheels are easily bent. Lesson to be learnt? Don't buy turbos that don't have their housings fully in place, and only ship them well protected and boxed. Bit like buying a windscreen by mail, if it arrives intact it's a miracle ;)

It's the sellers responsibilty to ensure that items are adequately packaged prior to delivery. Those are absolutely not and were certain to suffer serious damage in transit.

The seller needs to persue the refund via the courier, but I would expect that to be refused due to being incorrectly packaged.

The seller is responsible to issue you with a full refund.

EDIT: Looking at those pics again it appears they had oil seal issues before sending anyway, so it might never have been a good idea to use them.

Guest p2g_qc
Hi Guys,

As some of you might know, My turbo seals gave way randomly and caused the car to smoke like a chimney. Had this checked over and it was definately my turbos shot.

So I posted up a wanted thread and got many replies. I was able to get a set for £250 delivered from a member on here (i'm not going to name and shame). The person I was buying these turbos from was very good pre-sale and did everything I asked of him with regards to checks and sending me pictures.

I wanted to get the car up and running before SupraPod so wanted him to post them out to me asap. So he suggested that I go to Parcel2go.com and arrange collection from his fathers place as he was going to be out of town. So i did. I paid for next day service via DHL and also opt in for insurance.

The turbos show up BADLY wrapped. Although the seller still thinks they were wrapped fine. Basically, a bit of cardboard was wrapped around the exhaust side of the turbo and then it was wrapped in brown tape. Both turbos were stuck togather and then wrapped in brown tap all over. No box nothing!

As usual the turbos show up to my house in bits obviously, and I called the seller up and he said that he packed them correctly and told me to speak to the shipping company.

Now my question is, where do I stand with this? Do you guys think I should be able to retrieve my money from the delivery company? I've started a claim with them but they said it'll take up to 3 weeks to decide.

Where do I stand? Should the seller pay up so I could afford to go and search for other turbos so I can get the car ready for SupraPod which I have already paid for!

Saq:(

Hi,

My name is George Iveson and I'm the Quality Controller at Parcel2go.com. I'm saddened to hear that your parcel has arrived damaged, may I ask you to forward the P2G number to my email address [email protected] (Including reference to your posting on this forum) and I promise I will look into this in detail for you and help you through the claims process.

Kindest Regards

George Iveson

Quality Controller

Parcel2go.com