The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift or uk headlights?

gannon888

being a greedy bugger that i am i currently have both the uk and facelift headlights (facelift came with my current car).

i was wondering what everyones opinion was, i think that the uk's make my car look a lot newer as they are pretty much mint, but the facelifts would suit my car better as my car is black.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................

I've always thought that facelifts suit every colour better except black.. I just can't make my mind up what suits the black better.. I'm kinda in the same predicament.. Maybe people could post up a few pics of black supes with different ones on..

Oh and if you do go uk spec, I'd be interested in the facelifts.. Maybe.. :D

yeah theyre the ones with the black inserts, i didnt even know they were facelifts until about 12 months ago, they had nasty eyebrows attached to them and were faded, i might put one on either side to show a comparison, but if i do, dont make fun of my bumper...............

Matt black or satin black IMO, Gloss is just too much. You need to mask up the rings if you want the facelift look then give the chrome a good key. You don't need to remove the chrome unless it starts to come away while keying, if it does you will most likely need to remove the lot. You can primer them if you feel the need to but it doesn't really need it as you won't get a reaction with plastic. Make sure you give them a good clean with alcohol etc before painting.

http://www.mkivsuprastar.com/Supra/Glass%20Angel%20Eyes/DSCF1905.JPG

http://www.mkivsuprastar.com/Supra/Glass%20Angel%20Eyes/DSCF1907.JPG

I used to really like the look of facelift lights but now prefer the UK specs (or even the prefacelift J spec ones as long as they are immaculate) on most colours as I think they look more modern and inkeeping with today's new cars.

IMHO certain cars look better with facelift but on black I definitely prefer the "pre" version.

Geo's looks lovely here...

I used to really like the look of facelift lights but now prefer the UK specs (or even the prefacelift J spec ones as long as they are immaculate) on most colours as I think they look more modern and inkeeping with today's new cars.

IMHO certain cars look better with facelift but on black I definitely prefer the "pre" version.

Geo's looks lovely here...

Quite strange the varying opinion I have. I think projectors without the silver is the more modern look. Astra's, Vectras, Mondeo's etc have all moved from having silver backing to black backing. Most modern cars have got rid of the silver, that I have seen anyway. Unless you just mean more modern than the Sup?

See what I kinda don't like is when people 'facelift' pre/uk ones they paint the insert black... When the facelifts are actually a very dark gunmetal colour, not too different from the facelift rears.

If I was going to facelift mine then I'd want the exact same colour as the stock facelifts, I think just that small contrast against the black car makes a big difference.

Has anyone got a colour code for the facelift inserts?

Oh and yes.., I'm a picky fecker... :D

See what I kinda don't like is when people 'facelift' pre/uk ones they paint the insert black... When the facelifts are actually a very dark gunmetal colour, not too different from the facelift rears.

If I was going to facelift mine then I'd want the exact same colour as the stock facelifts, I think just that small contrast against the black car makes a big difference.

Black looks better. The reason for the dark bronze is to be more compatible with more colours. Catering for the masses. On Black, black is a better match IMO. Same with white & red, the blue looks good with the bronze.

the last time i did it with j specs i put them in an oven at 80c for about 5 mins

I'm amazed they came apart after 5 mins at 80. 10 mins at 100 degC is what I done JSpecs at, the UK's needed an extra couple of mins due to the glass taking longer to heat.

Remember when you are doing it you don't want to be forcing the plastic back, if you don't heat them enough the gum won't be warm enough and you will end up damaging the plastic casing with a screwdriver etc trying to pull it back. When done properly, heated long enough at a decent temp, they will pull apart with your pinkey finger. In this instance just be careful as the gum will be really stringy, try to avoid letting the gum get on the lens as it's a PITA.

Black looks better. The reason for the dark bronze is to be more compatible with more colours. Catering for the masses. On Black, black is a better match IMO. Same with white & red, the blue looks good with the bronze.

I might have to disagree with you on this one Scott, each to there own though :)

I just see like the facelift rears, it's the contrast that makes it look better.