The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Controller - Recommendations

NOS

Hi guys,

I want to get myself a Boost Controller in the near future and am wondering if anyone can recommend what make/model are the best Boost Controller on the market.

(I currently have a 1997 JSpec auto TT (running at 0.76 boost) but plan on converting to single turbo and possibly manual also in the next year or so)

Thanks in advance.:thumbs:

If I was doing it all again I'd go for a Solaris ECU with the boost control bits installed (along with everything else).

I'm using an AEM Tru-boost one now, and it does the job pretty well. Fits in a standard gauge pod too, so it keeps things neat. There are more comprehensive units out there though, I just wanted something simple. In one of my previous cars I used the Blitz SBC-ID and found that very good too.

Hi guys,

I want to get myself a Boost Controller in the near future and am wondering if anyone can recommend what make/model are the best Boost Controller on the market.

(I currently have a 1997 JSpec auto TT (running at 0.76 boost) but plan on converting to single turbo and possibly manual also in the next year or so)

Thanks in advance.:thumbs:

I'd look ahead and think what's best long term - seeing as you want single + manual in the next year or so, I'd go Syvecs + Boost Control like mentioned above.

Thats what I have. Its a very good unit, though maybe a little trickier to set up than some, such as an Apexi AVC-R. But the fine tuning you can do is fantstic.

If I was doing it all again I'd go for a Solaris ECU with the boost control bits installed (along with everything else).

I'm using an AEM Tru-boost one now, and it does the job pretty well. Fits in a standard gauge pod too, so it keeps things neat. There are more comprehensive units out there though, I just wanted something simple. In one of my previous cars I used the Blitz SBC-ID and found that very good too.

I'd look ahead and think what's best long term - seeing as you want single + manual in the next year or so, I'd go Syvecs + Boost Control like mentioned above.

But I'd go witht the Gaz and Johnny if you were thinking of that down the line. I wont be hense just the EVC for me.

The HKS EVC can be integrated with the HKS F-con if you went that route. I'd agree it's not the simplest to set up, but it has a lot of features and once set up is very good.

The others I'd recommend would be the Blitz SBC i-color Spec R and Blitz iD Spec R, the i-color has more features and better display but both are very good.

As a start, avoid anything that doesn't has a remote electronic pressure reference (i.e mechanical BC's and gauges)

With your long term goals a Solaris/Syvecs is the way to go :thumbs:

Absolutely. You seem to have some long term plans for the car so this is a time that spending a LOT of extra cash at the outset will reap a LOT of savings long term. Future planning is the key when selecting any electronics for the car, especially so for the ECU.

As a start, avoid anything that doesn't has a remote electronic pressure reference (i.e mechanical BC's and gauges)

Absolutely. You seem to have some long term plans for the car so this is a time that spending a LOT of extra cash at the outset will reap a LOT of savings long term. Future planning is the key when selecting any electronics for the car, especially so for the ECU.

not all controllers are expensive, mine (profecB) cost me £62 to buy and fit (did it myself) 60 for the profec and 2 for a t piece

Hardly broke the bank and is worth more than i paid, these bargains do come up lol

Blitz SBC I-Color Spec S electronic boost controller, im well impressed with mine 100's of fetures!! and looks cool ;)

They are very good BC's, but are incredibly expensive considering their features. The standard SBC-IDIII does the same job in terms of boost control and cost a lot less. Had one in my old car and it's been faultless even after over 4 years.

The cost of a BC has to be factored into your ECU choice. I.e. if you go for a standalone ECU (which seems likely) you'll need to compare the costs of having variable boost control and whether the ECU can do it built in. If the ECU has the option built in you can cut the cost of a BC completely.

not all controllers are expensive, mine (profecB) cost me £62 to buy and fit (did it myself) 60 for the profec and 2 for a t piece

Hardly broke the bank and is worth more than i paid, these bargains do come up lol

They are rudimentary bits of kit though Jody, unreliable and pressure reference can be very variable. Manual reference too. I'd personally never recommend one on any higher performance TT and absolutely not on a single.

They are very good BC's, but are incredibly expensive considering their features. The standard SBC-IDIII does the same job in terms of boost control and cost a lot less.

The i-Color can map boost against speed, the SBC IDIII can only do that if you also have the Power Meter as well. The cost of the old SBC IDIII and Power Meter was more than the price of the i-Color.

They are rudimentary bits of kit though Jody, unreliable and pressure reference can be very variable. Manual reference too. I'd personally never recommend one on any higher performance TT and absolutely not on a single.

could you explain that a little homer, TBH ive not had a problem with it, i fact i like that it is simple.. Ive had it a t 1.2bar reading on my Greddy Boost Gauge and its the same on the profec.. ive also had a calibrated gauge inline with the boost gauge and its spot on..

Manual reference?

Isnt deciding on BC abit like an ECU, go with what ever your tuner likes or what you can understand.. I know people that think every ecu on the market is poo and Motec is the bolox. TBF Motec are but ide still use some of the other ones..

I'd agree, the dual solenoid actuator and gain feature on the higher end boost controllers can make a big difference to spool up and stability of boost.

do you honestly think the guy would be saving in the long run? What with the outlay for the ecu, the fitting costs, the mapping for his TT setup now.. Then wiring changes and more Mapping if he goes single

Peoples Circumstances change quickly sometimes and this is a huge outlay if you are not definatly going to use it to its full potential.. Also ECUs are being developed all the time, what is good now is gonna be crap in a year or so, its the way of things. so if and when he does go single etc hes gonna have an out of date ECU..

Its a bit like buying an expensive HD Tv, on the pretence that your gonna get HD but dont in the end.. Waste of money IMO, The last thing ide buy is the ECu, but thats just me

Edited by JODY T (see edit history)

do you honestly think the guy would be saving in the long run? What with the outlay for the ecu, the fitting costs, the mapping for his TT setup now..

Peoples Circumstances change quickly sometimes and this is a huge outlay if you are not definatly going to use it to its full potential.. Also ECUs are being developed all the time, what is good now is gonna be crap in a year or so, its the way of things. so if and when he does go single etc hes gonna have an out of date ECU..

Its a bit like buying an expensive HD Tv, on the pretence that your gonna get HD but dont in the end.. Waste of money..

Not really, because the Syvecs does a lot more to help your car than just boost control alone.

If you factor in a decent traction control system, all of the monitoring available and all of the safety features plus the boost control, the Syvecs starts making a lot of sense... especially now good 2JZ-GTE engines are over £1500 from Japan.

Not really, because the Syvecs does a lot more to help your car than just boost control alone.

If you factor in a decent traction control system, all of the monitoring available and all of the safety features plus the boost control, the Syvecs starts making a lot of sense... especially now good 2JZ-GTE engines are over £1500 from Japan.

true but the guy just wants to control his boost with the 'possibility' that he might go single at a later date.. The BC that he buys will still hold value so can sell it to recoup a chunk if and when the time arrises..