The mkiv Supra Owners Club

de-yellowing headlights! tis a miracle it is!

marcAB10

So, me and kieran (monsween) were out in my supra, owning the streets as you do when i got a call from Alex (drift_bear), he wanted us to help with one of his headlights as he was trying to put led side lights on when it had fallen into the unit...... :blink:

anywhoooo... we helped take the unit off and out fell the led, his lights since buying the car were always very yellow, infact i would have though new units were probably going to be needed. He had mentioned that liam (L18msy) had suggested halfords rubbing compound to get rid of the yellowing, now i have used scratch X on james (HateEvent) lights and it worked well enough but not perfect.

So we demanded he do his lights there and then (Alex needs a firm hand... he's a lazy sod you see... :p)

but as soon as he started the results were very impressive indeed!

Now he literally only spent maybe a few minutes on each light with a very quick application, so i'm sure if he spent a bit more time they will look amazing.

he will have to take a few more pics for this thread as i only took a few quick snaps while he was doing it and tbh the lights look even better in the flesh now.

this is how they looked before he started-

attachment.php?attachmentid=114570&d=1280702922

after literally a 2 minute aplication-

attachment.php?attachmentid=114572&d=1280702922

and this is with just the passenger side done-

attachment.php?attachmentid=114571&d=1280702922

I think this is the best pic to show just how yellow his light looks before on the driver side-

attachment.php?attachmentid=114573&d=1280702922

muuuuuch better :D

so kudos to Liam for the tip, and also anyone with yellowing headlights, go buy this stuff and feel just how much satisfaction you get seeing those lenses turning clear again :D

light1.JPG

light2.JPG

light3.JPG

light4.JPG

You talk about it like it's something new to use cutting compound on the plastic lights, always thought that was as common as cleaning the car ;) :D

Prepare to have to re-do them every 3-6 months, they will yellow again very quickly

i personally only ever heard of people using scratchX or T-cut............but then again i have UK glass ones so erm.. i'll never need to care :D

What an Improvement over the crappy yellowing, you can now drive your car at night and see where your going, heheh

you could always buy new glass lights :D With your New Side L.E.D's in it makes the front End look like New. :D

You'd be suprised. My mate used it on his teg and they turned out minted (pun intended) :D

I'll find the thread on another forum and post some before/after pics! Quite handy as its something everyone will have in the house, so no need to go a trip to halfords to get a certain product!

EDIT:

Before:

After:

And the magical substance:

Edited by RCK10 (see edit history)

Farecla G6/G3 compound, and lots of elbow grease/machine polishing....gets rid of pretty much all the yellowing, wipe down and laquer! comes out better than glass...and its also protected - saves you from having to do your headlights every year.

Plast-x didnt really work for me, didnt have enough cut