The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paintwork

JS2004

Now then guys,

Hoping someone can give me some advice with this - if you know about paint, then even better.

Got some issues with the paintwork on my bonnet and front wing.

They were resprayed October last year.. but I dont know if its an issue with the respray or if some little £$"£ has thrown something on it out of spite! However it is only showing up on the resprayed metal parts.

Pics of issue:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7125/010820101207.jpg

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7894/010820101202.jpg

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4269/010820101206.jpg

Its like the paint has ran / blisted. I can press the bubbles in and they feel sticky(ish). I scraped one and it revealed white underneath and now looks like a stonechip.

Anyone got any ideas if this is a fault with paint or? Its still going to be under warranty so I will be taking it back if it is.

Cheers

Edited by JS2004 (see edit history)

Pics don't work for me but it sounds like micro blisters. They are most commonly caused by moisture. Its trapped moisture under the paint & will have to be sanded back to metal & baked in a spray booth. They usually get worse in the winter when the water freezes & expands.

I would bring it back to the person who sprayed it & demand they fix it properly. Make sure he has a spray booth to bake it or the chances are they will come back again.

That looks like someone brake fluided your car mate.. Is the paint soft to the touch where its marked? Try with your nail.

I've had another close look and is it coming through from underneath if so why was it painted? If it was because of vandalism they did not prep it properly by the looks of it.

Edited by SUPRALOOPY (see edit history)

The paint isnt soft but I dont want to scrape it anymore incase it comes off.

It was painted because I bought a used bonnet from one of the chaps here that needed a respray, I was getting the bumper and front wing done too so had the bonnet sprayed at the same time by the same place.

It has similar markings on the front wing that was sprayed, but nothing on the bumper.

If someone has poured break fluid on it then that seriously sucks.

The place that fixed it had it for a long time.. talking like 2 months.. so i was expecting it to be done properly but I can list several things I am not happy about with it, and it wasnt exactly cheap.

I tried to fix the pic links, they should be working now.

It really looks like its coming up from under the paint though, the blisters are softish, but the markings - almost streaky, are not.

I didnt see it prior to painting as it got delivered direct to the bodyshop. They werent there earlier this year when I was polishing it. Would break fluid not have more of a pattern? it really seems like random, some bubble, some are just streaky.

Well I have just been down to let someone look at it properly - as the pictures dont really display the damage fully.

The bodyshop chap had a look, the paint where its blistered is still soft, feels like paint does when youve heated it up with a heat gun and scraped it with your nail (only way I can explain it).

He reckons that someone has poured something on it, and suggested it could be break fluid.

The only problem I have is that its only showing up on the areas I know I had repainted, even a small part on the wing which was chipped and has been repainted looks as if it has sunk down a little.

But regardless he has quoted me £360 to fix it. I was hoping he would say that its a problem with the previous spray work so I could claim on the warranty of the place that did it.. but if he says its break fluid then theyre likely to say the same and I wont be able to argue otherwise :(

So.. im thinking the easier option is to get hold of a replacement black bonnet and machine polish it up.

Unless anyone else has any thoughts or ideas?

Have not even seen the bloke who painted it and had no contact with him since October.

I spend quite a lot of time outside cleaning it and have been machine polishing parts of it for a while, perhaps someone got jealous and decided to be a c£$%. It could be a coincidence but the large chav gathering in rented accomodation down the street got evicted mid-week and ive only noticed it there since around that time too.. but I could be jumping to conclusions.

The bodyshop I went to see tonight was not the one who did the work originally. I was hoping they would say it was somethign with the previous work so I had something to back me up warranty wise.

I dont want to shell out the £360 just yet, as this month im spending 300 getting the wing sorted and resprayed. Id be happy if I could get my hands on a slightly tatty one that didnt need a respray and would come up well with a lot of hours machine polishing it.

When stuff like this happens it really makes you wonder why you didnt just buy a car that nobody is going to be spiteful enough to ruin. Or one that you wouldnt care about if it did get ruined..

When stuff like this happens it really makes you wonder why you didnt just buy a car that nobody is going to be spiteful enough to ruin. Or one that you wouldnt care about if it did get ruined..

Caught two 7-8 year old boys using my bonnet as a boost to get over the wooden fence in my car park...

...the two weeks later the council dropped a sofa on my drivers side rear 1/4 panel

I completely understand what you're saying. My car is in for a full respray as we speak, I'll probably become obessive over where I park it from now on; well, more obsessive, I already park about a mile away from the entrance at Tesco

Just makes you wonder if its worth it sometimes :(

Yeah it really does.. I park far away from other cars but can guarantee someone will choose the exact spot next to me in a relatively empty area of the car park.

The amount of dents and chips im getting is just stupid. People really have no respect for others property.

If I were you in that situation though id be thinking about sending a bill to the parents of said kids and also making a claim off the council.

• 2 weeks later...