The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car prepped ready to paint

Shane

Well today finally got round to getting the insurance write off car I bought in April from Keron ready to spray. Hopefully by this time next week it will all be painted.

All that's left now to do it remove the lights, number plates etc, mask off, degrease, tack cloth and paint. Bought the paint this week and borrowed the compressor etc.

Been a long day, but really enjoyed it and the weather was perfect.:)

Was getting a bit dark when I took the photos so you cant really see how much work has gone into it, but I ache all over tonight!

Looking good, do you plan a colour change, or are you sticking to good old 199?

Hi David,

Colour change to satin black. Yes I know everyone hates satin black but it's my car and I like it.:) Costing me so little to do other than time and effort, I figure that if it becomes a pain to keep looking nice I will just get it wrapped or get a glass out respray next year. Since getting it I have spent quite a bit of cash fixing the damage and then getting to BPU so just need to get it all one colour now and make it look a bit more presentable.

when both of ours are done, come over and lets get some shots! good luck to you dude, im doing my skirts right now:D

Yeah sure, would be interested in seeing how yours turns out. I did give the whole aerosol thing some serious consideration but after playing with the bonnet decided I couldnt live with streakiness (new word maybe:D) and using standard cheapies no matter how carefull you are streaks always seem to be apparent. I know you said that the Hammerite stuff doesnt suffer this, but they are pretty expensive comapered to the cak I bought.

all that effort for satin black? Well done and I hope it turns out well.
Ha, wondered who would be the first! :D

Thanks, it has been some effort yes but really enjoyed working on this one.

I know it's not everyones cup of tea but I like it. Thing is, there was quite a lot of bodywork needed on this car and at the mo it is various shades of filler and primer and need it to look at least a bit more presentable than it does now.

Having spent quite a bit of money getting it to where it is now and also having an NA and an unfinshed Eaton supercharger project that owes me a fair whack sitting around, I cant really afford to plough too much more into this car at the moment. If I decide to hang onto this one which I think is likely, then maybe next year I will do something else to it in terms of paint or wrap.

Whatever floats your boat. :)

Are you planning :flame:s behind the wheels too? ;)

lol maybe David, or if like we could do a swap and I have your uk spec brakes? Thinking to do the wheels hi gloss black, what do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
I think Knight Racer did his

Oh right, looks nice. Sadly I rushed mine to get to pod and messed it up a bit. Started on Friday and it was looking ok for a DIY job on friday eve apart from some crap on the tailgate. I should have left it but stupidly decided at the last minute on Saturday morning to do the tailgate again and the whole door pickled. We reckon it was because the stuff we put down on Friday hadn't hardened enough, but whatever it was it pickled bad! So this coming weekend I intend to do the tailgate and bonnet again and then leave it until next year when I will get it wrapped. Not a perfect job, but for less than £80 in materials, a days holiday from work and loads of fun doing it I am pretty pleased and at least it's all one colour now. There are some recent photos in my garage.