The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Handbrake is crap

Guigsy

My handbrake has been crap for ages. Nice and tight handle wise. The actual pad bits whatever they are called have been changed quite recently but it doesn't hold the car at all. Can drive on tick over speed (auto) and put the brake on with hardly any difference. I've driven off with it on a few times too. Although I turned it off after a few 10's of metres. Are supra ones bad in general. Mine have never been good in my 2 supras

Poor but then I know my rear pads need changing anyway and will get it adjusted at the same time. Does the hand brake use different pads? That will be a pain in the butt if they do.

The handbrake is inside the disc as shown in the diagram, the pads in the caliper on the outside of the disc are nothing to do with the handbrake.

If your handbrakes not working very well i'd remove the disc and clean up the drum inside the disc with some 120 grit paper, i'd also go over the handbrake shoes as well, then make sure its adjusted properly.

Im supprised if your handbrakes are that bad you pass the brake test at mot time

image003.jpg