The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing chrome from alloys

MARCUS1979

I got some chrome alloy wheels that I want to try and re paint.

They a currently in a state where the chrome is peeling off and leaving a red like paint effect

I would like to try and remove all this chrome and paint them a completly different colour

I can obviously just peel away the chrome where it's started to already but what would be the best way to remove the stuborn parts of it?

I'm guessing sand blasting would be best but don't have that sort of equipment to hand so is there anything off the shelf I could buy to help me out?

Mark

Sand blasting doesnt work because the alloy underneath is softer than the chrome. You can get them chemically stripped in the US, but I couldn't find anyone who could do it in this country so I ended up grinding off the chrome with a 80 grit flap wheel in an angle grinder. Was a nightmare of a job, took about 8 hrs per rim, then Ibrar did a cracking job of powdercoating them for me.