The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bought or built

Bailey.

Well this my issue, after only 2 months of ownership i feel the need for more power, i love the bpu twin turbo setup i have now but i constantly look at the single builds in the project section and think i want in! so i want your thoughts from both side's, guys who have built there single turbo's and guys who have bought there single all ready done. all it is, im 24 and do want a house desperatly but as im newly self employed starting a new business which is going v.well i cannot get a mortgage without 3 years accounts to put forward, so 3 years and counting. but i am at a age where every penny means alot and i dont want to spunk/waste every penny i earn, so in that sense i should sell my tt6 and buy a single already done, probably saving around £4k in the long run! but oviously you dont get all the emotions and ups and downs of building a decent spec'd car for yourself, would you guys who have converted to single do it all again? and people who have bought cars already converted, do u wish that u had done it yourselves???

I bought a car that had a single build and had reliability creep... So spent a lot ofoney sorting it out. My fault in the end in not having enough diligence in the purchase.

If it's a single you want to buy straight off :

Buy from a reputable trader

or

Buy one that's had a good project build on here documenting what's gone on

Otherwise make sure every receipt for everything important in a single build is there with the car before you buy it - well known reputable branded bits like manifolds, EMS, pumps, ancillaries replaced at proper intervals and also proof it was fitted by a good company correctly. Also would be good to know who mapped it then maybe ask the mapper if they know any history.

I would say whilst building it yourself will be more expensive and possibly time consuming you hopefully know you're doing it right and no corners are being cut at all.

Pre built cars, if something goes wrong it'll take time and effort to find out how/where/what to source if it's unknown. Mapping wise also if you don't know it's mapping history or if it's got an awkward or rare emu to map that'll also be a pain.

Advice from a previous na to single owner!

Surely if you need to be cautious with your money, a single is not going to do you any favours......;)

Is a single massively more fun that a BPU car? How long before you get bored of the power of the single also. I am moving from an NA to a TT in the next couple of months and even I am questioning if it's worth the 4.5K I have spent to move up 100 BHP??

I am 35 with no mortgage, that said I am tighter than a nats chuff....:D

H.

I bought a car that had a single build and had reliability creep... So spent a lot ofoney sorting it out. My fault in the end in not having enough diligence in the purchase.

If it's a single you want to buy straight off :

Buy from a reputable trader

or

Buy one that's had a good project build on here documenting what's gone on

Otherwise make sure every receipt for everything important in a single build is there with the car before you buy it - well known reputable branded bits like manifolds, EMS, pumps, ancillaries replaced at proper intervals and also proof it was fitted by a good company correctly. Also would be good to know who mapped it then maybe ask the mapper if they know any history.

I would say whilst building it yourself will be more expensive and possibly time consuming you hopefully know you're doing it right and no corners are being cut at all.

Pre built cars, if something goes wrong it'll take time and effort to find out how/where/what to source if it's unknown. Mapping wise also if you don't know it's mapping history or if it's got an awkward or rare emu to map that'll also be a pain.

Advice from a previous na to single owner!

good advice, i suppose if im honest i want to do the build, my best friend runs his own garage so unlimited ramp time and right next dor is a good fabricator/engineering shop. its just the cost thing, i dont intend to sell the car, at least not for a very long time, so i would be getting my money's worth. again when i had my rx7 everything was good untill one day the exhaust started to blow, thought to be mani gasket, no, cracked turbo, went single lost 7.5k in 18 months dont 800 miles, sold because it was horrifically unreliable, i guess a bonus of buying one done is any teething problems should be sorted, another thing i am apprehensive about ruining and not liking the car, as its awsome at the minute:search:

Surely if you need to be cautious with your money, a single is not going to do you any favours......;)

Is a single massively more fun that a BPU car? How long before you get bored of the power of the single also. I am moving from an NA to a TT in the next couple of months and even I am questioning if it's worth the 4.5K I have spent to move up 100 BHP??

I am 35 with no mortgage, that said I am tighter than a nats chuff....:D

H.

its not that i dont have money but more than ever i like seeing the extra 0000's in the bank, but my cars my life, end of! if i dont do it now, i never, or for a long time , wont be able to!!!!

I went through the same thing a while ago. My UK spec auto was pretty much tuned as far as you can you with stock tubbies and an auto gearbox (Emanage, cams etc on top of BPU)

I really wanted to convert that car as I loved it, but the spec I wanted would have cost me £18k including labour, and it would still have been on an auto gearbox. I sold that car on cheap as it had a few issues, and bought an already converted single manual with Brembo brakes, exceptional suspension, and much more from Jurgen for £17k, plus a few other bits that set me back a couple of £k. That car was completely reliable other than an easily sorted earth problem with the HIDs and a split hose.

So from my point of view, its easily worth buying an already converted car, if you get a good one.

However, i've already been there and done that now, so I may build my next one :D

Personally, if i had the funds i'd buy it. Too much headaches, ups and downs, time spent when building your own. Of course there is satisfaction that is your own work, but at what expense? Much more money and time spent this way. Anyway that is just my opinion and i'm a quite lazy and not very mechanically inclined guy :p

As an example this would be the kind of car i would buy : http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=217493

Good luck with your choice. Either of the ways will bring satisfaction in the end ;)

I am quite happy for others to take the credit in the Projects Section but it does cost them lots to be there.

Personally speaking, I cheated and bought a ready built single – I’m not ashamed! In doing so though, I spent far far less than most of the Project Guys for a car which is probably one of the top builds on the forum in terms of build quality and reliability

If you do buy a ready built unit then just make sure you’re not buying a dog.

Edited by SupraAyf (see edit history)

Good thread.

I'm currently considering the same thing. Although I'm not sure I need a single yet, there are some very nice and well built cars for sale at the moment and I have been putting a few pennies to one side.

I was thinking of a change to a TVR or something like that but I just LOVE the supra and can't help thinking I'll regret moving from them.

So buying a supra that someone has already spent alot of £ on seems the sensible move.

Edited by Mcgoo (see edit history)

i think i gotta do it, already in the process of trying to get a very rough guide line's of price and going to get a budle of parts together, wont be ready for installation of parts untill probably spring next year, but i think the mind is made up, i hope i dont regret it, now its just turbo choice, one word is in my head 'BILLETT' just which one?????

With the market as it is, there's plenty of single turbo to get your hands on for you money right now.

If you build from the start, it's going to cost you lots of money and time. If you can afford a single build, then perhaps buying a proven single will mean you have money left over to put any niggles right if they should arise.

It will probably be more rewarding if you get it done yourself though.

There are pro's & con's to both, buying built will save you money but you don't know what niggles are hidden, building means you get the enjoyment of reasearching parts (well I do) & getting the car exactly to your spec.

I don't regret building mine at all, I'm not saying it was a cheap excerise, or something that I didn't shed blood & tears over the years, but that has only strengthened the bond I have with the car.

Is a single massively more fun that a BPU car?

IMHO by a mile, a simple example, take any b-road, from one corner to the next, a BPU won't get to a speed that will scare you, a single will :D

There are pro's & con's to both, buying built will save you money but you don't know what niggles are hidden, building means you get the enjoyment of reasearching parts (well I do) & getting the car exactly to your spec.

I don't regret building mine at all, I'm not saying it was a cheap excerise, or something that I didn't shed blood & tears over the years, but that has only strengthened the bond I have with the car.

IMHO by a mile, a simple example, take any b-road, from one corner to the next, a BPU won't get to a speed that will scare you, a single will :D

thats also a question i have been asking is it worth it? whats the spec of your turbo jevansio and what are the charactoristics, i,e on/off like a t78 or more of a smoother delivery also when do you reach full boost???

My turbo is a T6765 Billet H Cover, it comes on VERY strong around 3k, it makes 1.4 BAR at 3.5k on the road in a 5th gear pull. With the right cams (264/264) it will pull just as hard to the redline at over 7k. It is a huge power band and makes for a great fun car to drive.

Also for the "Is it worth it" question, without a doubt. :D

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Dont consider buying or building one if on a budget, save your money and buy that house in 3 years, when you are settled and have a decent disposable income then consider it again is my advise.

to be honest jamie its not really a budget, just a idea of costings, i have over half what i would like to spend on a build now, so intend to start getting a bundle of parts together and each month add to it untill i have everything i need. make sense? plus i will hopefully still have 2-2 1/2 year for the big save.

I will endeavour to build my own car up over time rather than buy built as I am keen to learn about characteristics of parts so that I can choose what is best for me.

I'd find it very satisfying building a car for me.

It also gets you more familiar with understanding all of the aspects as you would have to research. As Jay said - cementing a bond because you have to put so much in to achieve the results you desire.

It'll cost more, but - maybe this is just me - it'd be better to get something precise than get something cheaper that you wish had parts X, Y and Z.

Then when you buy X, Y and Z, it costs close to doing it yourself but without the same satisfaction.

Depends how much that aspect matters I suppose :)

i recently brought mine its robs old car and what can i say im realy pleased i brought one already done:).

ive got to admit building your own would be great but the budget was my problem, ive looked at all the project threads and the money some guys manage to spend is incredible, i think i need a better payed job:(

i think if you was to buy one you need to get one that has a great history, a members car would be great they have a full service history just on here alone.

what ever you decide to do you wont be dissapointed with a single turbo :sly:

Buying the right single turbo car is always going to be close to impossible. There are so many variations in spec between one car and the next.

I'm an advocate for building the car yourself from a decent base. That way you learn the car and know the reasons behind each and every modification.

Mine was stock when I imported it, and I love the car to bits. The Supra I had before wasn't stock when I bought it, and I spent most of my time trying to understand the work that had been done on the car. It didn't help that the seller blatantly lied to me, but that's another story :D

This is the thing, mine was well looked after by it's previous owner again fully documented on here, would a less than 5k stock clutch last any amount of time on a single or should I be looking for a clutch while the builds being done? Just seems a waste!!!! What is the choice for ecu's? I see most are using aem management???

This is the thing, mine was well looked after by it's previous owner again fully documented on here, would a less than 5k stock clutch last any amount of time on a single or should I be looking for a clutch while the builds being done? Just seems a waste!!!! What is the choice for ecu's? I see most are using aem management???

Lots of threads about on the "going single" subject, best to have a search about and look at build threads.

Many different stand alone ecus about, i use Syvecs on my black one and AEM on the orange one.