The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High-Speed Stability (Lack of). UK SPEC

carl0s

my car doesn't feel so stable at high speed (>110mph). Previously I'm quite sure it felt like a train, whereas now it feels a bit bouncy and what not, as though the road's shit (but this is motorway).

After my crash I should have had all the wheels aligned but I haven't. Is this likely to be the cause?

Am I right in thinking Mr Wilson is good for decent wheel alignment (if this is in fact the problem).

yeah if a shock is leaking, it'll be bouncy on that corner and this'll be well dodgy if the shock is knackered enough.

plus potentially dangerous so advise you replace both shocks on that axle.

Plus get the toe checked on the rear wheels - rear-end instability culd be cos exacerbated by major toe-out on one side or similar geometry issues.

KYB adjustables are good but not that common ! - not the sort of shock most garages are going to have.

Assuming you supply the parts (the 2 shocks), i think most garages would charge about 1.5hours per side = 3 hours labour + VAT.

Garages always over-charge on the labour front but about 1 - 1.5 hours for a shock is about right.

One more thing - I got my shocks on my Supra changed by Darrell Payne who's a really top geezer and very able mechanically.

He lives in the midlands, somewhere north of Milton Keynes if my memory serves me right. He used to post on this board but don;'t know if he's still active or even got his supra.

Only reason i mention it really is that he had KYB adjustables on his silver supra like yours. he found the bilsteins a bit hard and fitted the KYB's as a solution. I got his bilsteins and he fitted them for me for VERY little dosh.

Just occasionally you do encounter someone who's a top bloke and happy to help you out and Darren's one of them.

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Cheers Doughie, i'll get tham changed this weekend, how much would a garage charge for this? Probably worth doing them yourself, does anything need to be done whilst changing shocks? I'm only using self adjustable KYB shocks.

Paul

do them yourself they're piece of p*ss and you can have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. i know its a different car but i done my old 200sx in about 2 hours(all 4).