The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Large cam suitability for T67 turbo

jevansio

I just want to hear peoples opinions (hopefully who have experience of large cams) of which cam is going to suit me best.

My requirements:

1. I want HKS cams to maintain non-interference, I won't consider any other make

2. I have crower spring & ti retainer upgrade

3. I will be getting shimless bucket upgrade (although not until after cams are in)

4. I'm not bothered about sacrificity low/midrange torque as long as I gain top end in a rpm range where my turbo/setup is still making power

So which cam setup, 264/264, 272/272 or 280/280 (I don't want to consider staggered setups for the purposes of this thread).

If the 6k+ rpm range is where I want to make power (upto whatever is reasonable with my setup 7.5k?).

Are 264's running out of puff at 7.5k? Can I actually make effective use of 280's, or are they geared up for 9k+ cars?

What are you looking to rev to Jay? 7.5k?

264/264 will most likely be the best option for that rev limit.

I dunno mate, if I could rev to between 7.5k to even 8k absolute max with some degree of confidence that the built bottom end & valve train upgrade was good enough to make that safe then that would be good.

If the general opionion is that 8k is really pushing it with my setup, I'd have to pull that back to an rpm that is considered safe (I realise that anything over stock is in effect pushing it to some extent)

In a nutshell I want which ever cams will net me the fastest standing mile speed.

What are you looking to rev to Jay? 7.5k?

264/264 will most likely be the best option for that rev limit.

I only read the first sentence on my last reply :D

Yeah 7.5k, maybe a tad higher if I can, 7600 is a figure that is good for me as it nets me 130 in 4th gear :D

I dunno mate, if I could rev to between 7.5k to even 8k absolute max with some degree of confidence that the built bottom end & valve train upgrade was good enough to make that safe then that would be good.

If the general opionion is that 8k is really pushing it with my setup, I'd have to pull that back to an rpm that is considered safe (I realise that anything over stock is in effect pushing it to some extent)

In a nutshell I want which ever cams will net me the fastest standing mile speed.

If going with a 8k rev limit then larger may be better, i wish i went bigger than my 269/269 setup but i dont feel the power tail off at all with them reving to 8200rpm, i am going to be changing to 280/280 this winter though.

In the uk i dont think many people have played with large rev limits and different cam setups, i would look stateside for advice if im honest.

I already posted the same q over there.

Thing is when you ask over there it's like "hell yeah, I rev to 8k all day long on a stock engine" :D.

To put it another way if I went for 264/264, then on special occasions (vmax/pod etc) I pushed upto 8k for a limited run count, would the 264's be strangling things (or would the T67 be strangling things)

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)