The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Parts advice

Robby

I'm getting started on my Supra transformation now. First on my list is all things mechanical.

As I pointed out before the car had been off the road for 18 months. I needed a new battery (obviously) and an MOT which is now done and its back on the road.

I am going BPU on the engine. I could do with a recommendation on the following parts, and if anyone knows the best place to acquire (and please point out if I've missed anything!!:)):

Oil Filter

Fuel Filter

Oil

Trans fluid

Plugs

Induction kit Kit

Pollen Filter (?)

Downpipe

Exhaust

Intercooler

Gauges

Sensors etc.

Any help much appreciated thanks peeps.

I'll have a go:

Oil Filter - Toyota

Fuel Filter - Toyota

Oil - Opie Oils

Trans fluid - Opie Oils

Plugs - Iridium or coppers? Coppers use your local store, iridiums check the traders here for best price

Downpipe - Try Chris Wilson or Whifbitz, I think you mean 1st/2nd decats

Exhaust - Your choice, need more info on what you are after, but try Whifbitz as they have some good custom ones of various specs

Gauges - Loads of choices here, too many to list

Only change if needed:

Intercooler - not needed unless your one is shot. If you want to keep SMIC (best for BPU) use Toyota/Chris Wilson, if you want an FMIC check the traders for best price

Discs - Depends on your brakes, but if stock use Toyota

Pads - Chris Wilson ones highly recommended

Not needed:

Sensors - not worth changing unless something is broken. Toyota seem cheapest for the stock O2.

Coilovers - Too many suppliers to list. Depends what you are after

Induction kit Kit - Don't bother

Pollen Filter (?) - Supra doesn't have one

Great thanks. Could you clarify a couple of points.

Induction kit - any reason why not to change this?

Intercooler - as above (does the fmic not have any benefit?)

Coilovers - BC Racing? Its only going to be a fast street car.

Brakes - They are stock at the minute and not that great. I want something a bit better really...

Thanks Homer!

Induction kit - Stock air box provides best results as the induction kits will naturally be sucking in warmer air.

FMIC - Not sure on the tchnicals but I know some have pipework which get in the way of the stock air box.

Coilovers - BC Racing seam to have a good reputation

Brakes - UK specs are recommended and are very good. Either way, J-spec or UK, Chris Wilson fast road pads, stock discs and braided lines along with decent fluid will stop you very well indeed.

Great thanks. Could you clarify a couple of points.

Induction kit - any reason why not to change this?

Intercooler - as above (does the fmic not have any benefit?)

Coilovers - BC Racing? Its only going to be a fast street car.

Brakes - They are stock at the minute and not that great. I want something a bit better really...

Thanks Homer!

The stock induction kit will perform better than an aftermarket one, it can flow more than enough air and benefits from having two external cold air feeds.

The stock intercooler is more than enough for BPU. It's only worth changing if your current one is damaged or is frail (and if it's on a higher mileage car will likely need changing. An FMIC is actually worse than an SMIC at BPU as it weighes more and blocks airflow to the radiator. They are difficult to install well as most never both ducting them which can make them very inefficient.

Stock suspension is fine, but not needed for BPU. This is one of the more involved discussions if you wish to change it. Not sure about BC, I thought they were a bit of a budget kit. If I were changing suspension I'd get Chris Wilson to make a custom setup for the car. Not so cheap, but people that have bought them seem to praise the results. I've never had a good experience with most off the shelf coilovers, they always seem crashy and too hard/low for British roads

Brakes - always a difficult one. On the road I always found the "small" jspec setup more than capable. Pads are absolute key to making them work, plus discs that are not worn! If your ones don't feel strong then there will be a problem with them somewhere, either worn or cheap parts. If you want to do track days then the whole lot will need changing for a larger brake setup.

With regards to the BC coilovers. TBH I only know people who have fitted them to other cars not a supra as such. But they have all been happy. A good compromise between price and performance. But as Daryl says a CW set up would be the ay to go if you have the extra money. Send him an email, h is a member, no pm's though.

You boys are saving me a fortune!

Maybe a daft question but would a big open bumper look wrong without the fmic?

As daryl says again, ducting is a key feature. I dont have mine ducted but it sits tight to the bumper (stillen) so its not that easy and would require quite a bit of work. Jevansio on here did a thread guiding you how he did his.

Also the fact about the flow to the rad is true. I've not had any problems really but then again I'm more of a short spurt type of driver rather than gun hoe for long periods so this may be factor. I dont see any high temps in either water or oil but prolonged hard driving would undoubtably effect that.

Edited by hoff (see edit history)

With regards to the BC coilovers. TBH I only know people who have fitted them to other cars not a supra as such. But they have all been happy. A good compromise between price and performance. But as Daryl says a CW set up would be the ay to go if you have the extra money. Send him an email, h is a member, no pm's though.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you say. They are very cost effective, as are the HSD shocks which offer similar specs and adjustment levels. Most that have installed them seemed to be happy with the purchase. My own feeling is they are a bit like the HKS kits - not really designed for road use here and *may* not last too long. It's one reason I initally stuck to stock billies and Eibachs (though even those were too hard/crashy) IMO.

Suspension is one of those things that is best done properly and where will quite honestly be the single most important modification you will do to a supra. It can transform the car.

You boys are saving me a fortune!

Maybe a daft question but would a big open bumper look wrong without the fmic?

What front bumper do you have? Some aftermarket ones can look a little odd without an FMIC, but not all. I'd always say that stock or close to it is the best choice as the stock undertrays can be retained and it has all the ducting in place for the radiator, brakes and SMIC. Aftermarket ones are mostly a pain in the ass to get working right and most people just don't bother, which is a shame.

I totally agree matey:) I run stock billies with tein springs and that does the job just fine for day to day driving and spirited drives.

A good geo set up makes a world of differance too Robby. Again CW is your man or Wheels In Motion:) Whatever you chose to do get that done, even if you chose to do nothing.

I'm stock at the moment.

The front bumper choice has been niggling me for ages. The only aftermarket one I like is the Whifbitz own. It has the appearance closest to stock, but obviously bigger, and I think will go nicely with wider fenders.

I'm stock at the moment.

The front bumper choice has been niggling me for ages. The only aftermarket one I like is the Whifbitz own. It has the appearance closest to stock, but obviously bigger, and I think will go nicely with wider fenders.

Adding a lip to the stock bumper can make all the different looks wise. There are a few out there that really look good and doesn;t mean you have to swap for a tacky fibreglass one. The Whitbitz "big mouth" bumper is one of the less ghastly front bumpers, one of only 2 I'd ever have. Whifbitz also do a lower lip for the stock bumper, which IMO fits very nicely with the rest of the car.

Wider fenders? Really? :( Edit - thought I best justify the sad face :D Wider fenders means wider wheels and severe offsets, which means custom suspension and many, many changes required to make it work. It's a VERY expensive route to go down and may not have the results you wish for. The widebody cars I've driven have not been nice to drive at all.

I've read it can be a bit of a nuisance!

I originally wanted to go for the TRD kit but decided that really was too much.

I actually love the look of bolted overfenders, but other than special wheels didn't realise there was much else.

When you say VERY expensive, what exactly do you mean?!!

Other than as said the wheels and now the suspension, what wlse am I looking at?