The mkiv Supra Owners Club

removing condensation from headlight? silica gel?

marcAB10

So, i have always had a problem with condensation in my passenger UK glass headlight, there is a small smash/hole (the size of a pea) in the front glass from when the previous owner had it, it must have been a rock kicked up at it or something.. now, it was originally just silcone covering it but i removed that, filled it with Araldite, then more silicone over the top... it seemed fine for a while but now the condensation is back.

So earlier this week i took the headlight off, and with a heatgun dried all the moisture out from the front glass and blasting it through the bulb hole at the back (using a makeshift tin foil funnel)

I then, with a long rod applied a heap more silicone to the back of the smash/hole. so i'm confidant that that is very much sealed now. the light doesn't look like it's ever been apart so i'm assuming all that is well sealed anyway.

does anybody know the best time i should have put it all back on the car and sealed it with the bulb? leave the headlight to get cold first etc? as the condensation came back pretty fast after..

well anyway, i decided tonight to try the silica gel method, i've put 4 of the little bags into the headlight (with fishing wire attached to each to pull them out) and popped the bulb back in.

gonna leave it a few days and hope that works.

has anybody tried the silica gel method? how effective has it been for you?

• 2 months later...

Depending on how damp the light gets depends on how soon you have to change the sillica as it gets saturated. Can dry it out in an oven though :)

As for drilling holes in the unit youre just opening it up to moisture ingress and therefor corrosion. Its sealed for a reason :)