The mkiv Supra Owners Club

delimit vvti

formatzero

U can delimit manuals fine, problem is with autos, the gearbox doesn't know the correct speed so it kicks down when u floor it, obviously not a good idea as u can blow stuff up like that.. Many have delimited them and just go careful

Isnt it only tiptronic autos that have the problem? Didnt realise the normal automatics had the same issue, I thought they were pretty much the same as the pre-facelift units?

I have had a word with Lee P and he has told me to get a normal delimter from Thor and that should solve the problem. Just waiting for him to install it and will let you know. Keeping fingers and legs crossed but just cannot get my head around why the latest Supras fitted with tiptronic gearboxes end up with this problem does not sound at all right :search:

How do you think I feel, I have just bought one and it's in that sale thread that this is mentioned.

Personally I am more interested in getting to a ton quickly but it would be nice to take it higher on an airfield etc.

I will probably get it delimited as see how we go.....:blink:

H.

Isnt it only tiptronic autos that have the problem? Didnt realise the normal automatics had the same issue, I thought they were pretty much the same as the pre-facelift units?

Yeah, it's just the auto VVTi Supras that have the problem, with the KMH to MPH conversion rather than the delimiting, IIRC.

I believe it's to do with the VVTI ECU rather than owt to do with the actual gearbox itself.

It's not a major problem, you just can't give it 100% full throttle without it kicking down to 3rd gear. Obviously this is not a good thing if you forget and floor it while doing 140mph, like I did at Bruntingthorpe once.

Yeah, it's just the auto VVTi Supras that have the problem, with the KMH to MPH conversion rather than the delimiting, IIRC.

I believe it's to do with the VVTI ECU rather than owt to do with the actual gearbox itself.

It's not a major problem, you just can't give it 100% full throttle without it kicking down to 3rd gear. Obviously this is not a good thing if you forget and floor it while doing 140mph, like I did at Bruntingthorpe once.

Did you do any damage Jake?:blink: I doubt I would ever need to take my new TT to it's top end limits but the minute someone tells you that you can't so something, suddenly you want it....:innocent:

I still don't know if my NA is de limited or not..!!

H.

No, it was fine. Obviously the revs went into the red for a sec but the rev limiter cut the power instantly. The car was fine for thousands of miles after that, until I blew the engine up due to something else unrelated (FPR vacuum hose came off at high speed and melted a piston)

Let me get this straight (cos every time this gets discussed it ends up being a dogs dinner).

Can you delimit a VVTi tiptronic okay and even if you floor it at 140mph the gearbox does not drop to 3rd and blow the goolies out of the engine?

Jurgen, can you confirm that the vvti cars you have had converted can be floored at 140mph and not do wierd things?

We all know you can delimit a tiptronic, the problem is the gearbox goes not understand speeds above 112mph so it assumes you are at that speed and it is safe to drop to 3rd, even if you are at 140mph.

Would be good to get a clear answer on this...but I fear we wont.

• 2 years later...
yes, i have a tiptronic an if i floor it at 120 kicks down to 3rd and stays in 3rd upto 140 and wont change upto 4th and the revs are right round, as soon as i let off it then goes into 4th.

regards chris.

If you have the tiptronic and it drops down when flooring it, why not use the paddles ad change back up?

See above, you have to let your foot off to be able to change again as the auto ECU is "confused".

VVti Tiptronics are a total PITA de limiting and gearbox control wise, I have yet to see a proper workshop manual for them, in Japanese or a European language. The problem remains and personally it would stop me buying one.

You said the same to me on the phone Chris when I got mine from Jurgen. If anything it has made me keep it stock as it sounds a nightmare to fix if anything goes wrong.

2 years later and we are still as sound as a Euro..!!

Lovely cars, but the idea of it trying to change down at 130 MPH is worrying :) A stock late car will be a valuable car. maybe. One day! Quite why no shop manual seems to exist i don't know, one would have thought something would be on the net by now, even if it were in japanes. My Japanese factory manual for my Skyline is a Godsend, most of the stuff you are wanting is numeric or diagramatic anyway.