The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK 6spd manual Supra on Pistonheads

Old Gregg

Hi guys,

First time posting here, so hello :) I initially joined up to do some research and just lurk, as i'm possibly on the lookout for a Supra.

I did search for this to see if it has been brought up on the forum but i couldn't find anything, so thought i'd ask. With the 6 speed manual UK Supra being the ultimate version for many people and there not being many for sale at the moment, it's a bit hard to gauge this cars' worth.

It's currently up for £16k as you can see, but it was originally up for £13k for a good while. What would you chaps say is the right price level for the car?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1765275.htm

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flippin' heck, you fellas don't hang about. Cheers for the replies.

Nice car but the price is very steep you can get a nice single turbo for that money or a mint later spec manual twin turbo, its a matter of choice though.

That's just it though, i don't have that kind of money (£16k) but i do like the car and had the feeling it was fairly well over priced.

Newer, lower mileage, devoid of rust, faster facelift JDM car for less money every day of the week for me over one of those :thumbs:

Thing is though, would my £10-11k get me all of those things? I also like the idea of the better brakes as standard as it's one less thing to have to bugger about buying/changing.

It's pretty steep even for a UK spec with that mileage. You would normally find UK spec supras go for maybe only a grand or two higher than a J-Spec.

I'd say £10k would be better.

Yeah, i thought it was steep. It might be worth a phone call and start at £10500 or so. Odd how it shot up in price quite randomly, too.

Thanks also, benkei.

1997 Facelift JDM Manual TT with 64,000 KM on the clock for only £10,800 imported by Jurgen at JM Imports.

So lower mileage, newer and a LOT cheaper.

Picking it up on friday so I'll let you know how it goes.

Cool, i'll keep a look out for you posting about it.

Most of the facelifts tend to have the bigger brakes anyways - the giveaway is the standard 17" wheels. Easy enough to tell from the look of the calipers too.

Bonus. Thanks for the tip.

This is the thing, you can get a uch newer J-Spec with a lot of factory options (interior, bigger brakes etc.) for the same price or less. As others have said, mileage will - usually - be good and it will be devoid of rust and suchlike.

That's what I would look to for sure!

Failing that, as also mentioned already, going for a J-Spec of similar age will get you a nice single setup. Generally, this will then have had the brakes and such like uprated in conjunction with the engine modifications.

It's good that there are options :)

Yeah, i have seen J-Spec cars about that tick many of the boxes that i'm looking for, and options are indeed good.

Personally i prefer the look of them as they rolled out of the factory, so that rules out a good few of the cars i've seen for sale on various sites that are kitted - which isn't a bad thing at all, i just like the stock look.

It is enjoyable just looking at what's available though :)

Cool, i'll keep a look out for you posting about it.

Bonus. Thanks for the tip.

Check out Jurgen's website if you're interested in getting something similar for the price.

He can get the exact specification that you want and doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

You can look at his current stock here:

http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/forsale.html

Or contact him to request something more specific.

Depends if you really want that model for the money, its not going cheap, I picked mine up 8 years ago with less mileage for less money. But you probably wont find another model of that spec/colour come up any time soon.. so its rare and I can see why the guy is charging for it.

Whether you want a JDM car is your choice of course. If you want to start modding dont bother getting that one, get a JDM car and save your cash for mods :)

Hi guys,

First time posting here, so hello :) I initially joined up to do some research and just lurk, as i'm possibly on the lookout for a Supra.

I did search for this to see if it has been brought up on the forum but i couldn't find anything, so thought i'd ask. With the 6 speed manual UK Supra being the ultimate version for many people and there not being many for sale at the moment, it's a bit hard to gauge this cars' worth.

It's currently up for £16k as you can see, but it was originally up for £13k for a good while. What would you chaps say is the right price level for the car?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1765275.htm

greg if your after a mint supra these uk cars with low miles and proper history are so hard to come by. personally i think its a bargain at that price

Your budget would get you a very nice manual Jap spec car........

.........I would expect to get somewhere in the region of your budget for mine see pics here :)

Hehe... nicely slipped in there mate! It's certainly a very nice car you have there though.

Just to put it in perspective, i know which one i'd rather have for 1k more.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1832724.htm

Yeah, that's one i've seen on my travels. Heck of a spec and a lot more car for the money than the UK one in the OP.

Check out Jurgen's website if you're interested in getting something similar for the price.

He can get the exact specification that you want and doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

You can look at his current stock here:

http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/forsale.html

Or contact him to request something more specific.

I've actually seen his site already and read many good things about him. If i decide to import my own j-Spec car, it'll be him i use.

Depends if you really want that model for the money, its not going cheap, I picked mine up 8 years ago with less mileage for less money. But you probably wont find another model of that spec/colour come up any time soon.. so its rare and I can see why the guy is charging for it.

Whether you want a JDM car is your choice of course. If you want to start modding dont bother getting that one, get a JDM car and save your cash for mods :)

That's the telling part really; no matter if it is rare, there's no way i'd pay £16k for it. Somebody else might though, so i can kinda see why he's priced it high. But then i guess it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, and it's still for sale after 3 weeks having not sold for the 2 weeks prior at £3k less...

Sound advice so far chaps, thankin' you very much :)

there's no way i'd pay £16k for it. Somebody else might though, so i can kinda see why he's priced it high. But then i guess it's only worth what someone is willing to pay

greg if your after a mint supra these uk cars with low miles and proper history are so hard to come by. personally i think its a bargain at that price

And there we go!

I'd really like to own that, but i'd much rather keep my initial spending down to £10k (ish). I'll keep my eye on it though.

I was looking at getting a UK Manual, and to get a low milage you are going to be paying around 10k anything up to 16k.

If the insurance isnt a problem i would recommend you go for an import TT GZ or something as they are remarkably cheaper.

Autos are about 50% cheaper than manuals.

You just have to shop around, but after a month of looking for a UK manual, i was looking at UK Autos for a week then gave up on that as they all wernt that nice or just didnt take my fancy.

edit: and personally i wouldnt spend anything over 10k for a Supra otherwise i think your getting ripped off, anything over 14k and your stupid (quoted from a Surpa dealer)

Some people do thought, in my opinion they are silly. Its like buying a brand new car, yea its a new car whoopdy doo, but you get one with 10k miles and its about 4 grand cheaper. Id know what id like..... 4k in my pocket and 10k on the clock.

Edited by Supralad (see edit history)

I was looking at getting a UK Manual, and to get a low milage you are going to be paying around 10k anything up to 16k.

If the insurance isnt a problem i would recommend you go for an import TT GZ or something as they are remarkably cheaper.

Autos are about 50% cheaper than manuals.

You just have to shop around, but after a month of looking for a UK manual, i was looking at UK Autos for a week then gave up on that as they all wernt that nice or just didnt take my fancy.

edit: and personally i wouldnt spend anything over 10k for a Supra otherwise i think your getting ripped off, anything over 14k and your stupid (quoted from a Surpa dealer)

Some people do thought, in my opinion they are silly. Its like buying a brand new car, yea its a new car whoopdy doo, but you get one with 10k miles and its about 4 grand cheaper. Id know what id like..... 4k in my pocket and 10k on the clock.

id rather have the best example out there i paid silly money for my uk supra, this car will sell at the price how rare are these uk cars, the problem with jap imports there is no way of verifying the mileage or history and the spec is way down on the uk car.

id rather have the best example out there i paid silly money for my uk supra, this car will sell at the price how rare are these uk cars, the problem with jap imports there is no way of verifying the mileage or history and the spec is way down on the uk car.

The sad thing is.. a stock UK Supra is probably one of the best examples out there and finding one is incredibly hard because people love to change things about them (power, looks) or they've been crashed.

If the bodywork is good and the mileage genuinely low then you're on to a winner.. cheap insurance, you dont have to worry about conversions, dodgy mods to get the speedo working, removing hanging fog lights and other tacky add-ons.. unless you like the modding bug then thats all fine! :)

I'm not justifying this guys price but he knows what he has - it's probably one of 3 or 5 cars of its kind left in the whole country.

the trouble is most buyers are just after a good value for money stupidly fast car.........

As far as driving and car dynamics goes the Jap spec cars are every bit as capable, some would say more so.

The spec differences are real but they are not deal breakers for the majority of buyers........