The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Doing UK brake upgrade. What more do I *need*?

bodilx6

I've got:

Used front calipers

New front pads

New front discs

New rear calipers

New rear pads

New rear discs

Question is; do I need:

Shim kit

Lock Kit (don't know what this is)

Brake Caliper Overhaul Kit

Anything else? (I'm thinking just to keep and cut the original dust guards)

A full brake fluid change and braided brake lines would be a good idea.

I'd imagine the lock kit refers to a brake line lock kit which allows you to hold the brakes on the front without your foot on the brake.

Its ideal if you use the car alot on the drag-strip or even if you just like doing burn-outs!

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Do a brake fluid change at the same time, Motul RBF600 is pretty good

I think Opie oils sells it

When i bought my new uk spec pads i only got the pads, no shims or pins.

Get some brake cleaner from halfords and give them a good clean, at the least i'd be changing the outer seals.

I might just have a set of outer seals and ring retainers !

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

04945-14110 Toyota Front Brake Shim Kit (anti squeal shims for pads)

04947-14010 Toyota Front Brake Fitting Kit (spring fittings for pads)

04948-14010 Toyota Rear Brake Fitting Kit (spring fittings for pads)

I wouldn't bother with rear shim kit, better brake feel without them.

THanks!

Already got fresh high quality 5.1 brake fluid and braided lines.

Nic, I thought the Shim Kit would also add to a mushy feel up front? I'm going for Red Stuff pads as I track the car once in a while and they should give even less dust than stock. The spring kit, is that the small things that pop the pads from the disc?

The Lock kit is a dk-uk translation but OEM parts from toyota suggested when ordering? Don't get it.

I'm guessing I won't need caliper refurb kit for the back as that is new but what does it include up front?

THanks!

Already got fresh high quality 5.1 brake fluid and braided lines.

Nic, I thought the Shim Kit would also add to a mushy feel up front? I'm going for Red Stuff pads as I track the car once in a while and they should give even less dust than stock. The spring kit, is that the small things that pop the pads from the disc?

EBC pads I've been told are horrendous for the Supra?

Why not go with stock pads or a set from CW? Or Brembo/hawk pads? Normally can get a 30-40% discount on pads if buying F+R at the same time from Toyota.

Got CW pads now on jspec. While they are much better than stock, they also generate a lot of dust. Alternatively I would get CW's AND OEM and then change when I go to track but I was hoping the Red Stuff would be ok.

Why are they bad for the soop?

I get 15% on all from Mr. T. I havent heard of 30-40% here in DK but its worth asking for ;)

Got CW pads now on jspec. While they are much better than stock, they also generate a lot of dust. Alternatively I would get CW's AND OEM and then change when I go to track but I was hoping the Red Stuff would be ok.

Why are they bad for the soop?

I get 15% on all from Mr. T. I havent heard of 30-40% here in DK but its worth asking for ;)

I'd much prefer dusty wheels than non-optimum braking myself.

Well Red/Yellow stuff may be different, but definitely the green stuff EBC pads get slated to hell here. Had them on an old mk3 golf and loved them, years ago asked if they'd be any good on here when I upgraded my JDM to UK brakes and everyone said to avoid.

Guess should look at the price differential but can't say I know of many people running EBC, if you put a vote out I bet most would be OEM, CW or Brembo/hawk.

Ahhh... handy when your local Mr T parts manager is a school friend of 15 years I guess :D

Nic, I thought the Shim Kit would also add to a mushy feel up front?

The front brakes will squeal without the shims on the front, the rears are okay without.

The spring kit, is that the small things that pop the pads from the disc?

Yes.