The mkiv Supra Owners Club

exhaust hanger - Ziptie?

Lude

just had my new Blitz exhaust today,

i removed my 5Zigen, i dont have any rubbers on my car now,

as the ones u had were on a exhaust hanger which is attached to the 5zigen.

anyway i just wanted to hear the sound today, so bolted it all on nice and tight (old gasket which ordered new today)

and i just put about 5 zipties on it to hold it in place.

they work really well, in the sence that the exhaust is up nice and tight to the bumper! and there is no play in it either!

will this fail the MOT? will they melt?

they are on the hanger which woudnt have thaught gets hot?

They may well melt, but hangers are about 50p from a local motor factors, probably less than the cable ties cost :D

The reason why rubbers are used instead of direct fixing is that it allows some flex in the exhaust sytem, so make it less prone to a cracked manifold. It's best practice to have the exhaust "hanging" rather than tightly fixed to the chassis.

I used some cable ties to hold my exhaust on for around six months :D

They don't melt if you tie the hanger on the pipe to the mounting bracket, but you have to be very careful and use quite a lot of them.

Probably better not to bodge it to be honest mate :)

They may well melt, but hangers are about 50p from a local motor factors, probably less than the cable ties cost :D

The reason why rubbers are used instead of direct fixing is that it allows some flex in the exhaust sytem, so make it less prone to a cracked manifold. It's best practice to have the exhaust "hanging" rather than tightly fixed to the chassis.

Are you serious about them being that cheap? the oval shaped ones with a hole at the top and bottom? and heres me with my to do list

stock exhaust hangers - Toyota

:D Will have to check some places

yea ok il get some propper ones.

il probably go for polyflex ones rather than stock tho,

as they are more tougher and give less stretch/movement

Did you miss the part where stretch/movement was said to be a good thing?

I melt the rubber O-rings on the back of my Nur spec. Did 2 sets on the weekend. Considering metallic zip ties or similar.

I was actually wondering if you could buy carabiner s-clips (http://www.atkinsangling.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=1&ModelID=3309) and coat them in rubber, so then you've got flex and also some tensile strength.

Then again eventually metal fatigue will get them.

well the zipties are not 100% tight,

havent done them all the way up, so there is some element of flex there. stis in a nice location, nice and high,

and its on the hanger part of the blitz so it not gonna get hot & melt.

is it ok for MOT tho?

well the zipties are not 100% tight,

havent done them all the way up, so there is some element of flex there. stis in a nice location, nice and high,

is it ok for MOT tho?

My Corsa van has been through two MOTs with cable ties holding the back box in place.

I bought such a crap fitting pattern exhaust it used to bang against the underside with the oem rubbers and drove me mad. I used giant 10mm wide cable ties to trim the exact hanging position. Covered around 60k in it since and they are still in place. But, I guess a TT supra may well run a tad hotter than a 1.7 non turbo diesel engine run on veg oil, but I have had no probs with the MOT so far.

Willing to put your hand where your mouth is :D

Cable ties should survive a gentle trip to the shop to buy a more permanent solution but will last 5mins of hard driving (fact).

Cable ties should survive a gentle trip to the shop to buy a more permanent solution but will last 5mins of hard driving (fact).

Didn't on my car. I did driving on track and some drifting, plus what must have been close to 200mph on a few occasions. I used around six of them (fact) :D

Metal cable ties are the answer:)

Is this what you use Si? Next bit of track work and I'm def going metallic. One brand new rubber ring melted after 2 or 3 laps.

Ready for the big trip? Drove past Spa on the way back on Sunday. V jealous. Enjoy!