The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can i drive my car????

black_widow87

Hi guys! Just had some 550cc injectors fitted on my car today and planning on getting it mapped early september. Im running a small single and was just wondering if its safe to drive until it gets mapped??:confused:

I wouldn't risk it. It may be ok at low revs, but all it takes is forgetting for a few seconds and going WOT to cause alot of damage.

I suspect it would be a case of... ah that's OK, ooh so it that, more beans... seems fine... all good, bit more, excellent, wheeee... bang, if you have as much restraint as I do.

Can't you just get a map tweek now?

Well iv got an AEM FIC on the way so was planning on getting ryan G to do the mapping. Surely those who do have upgraded injectors have to get the car to get mapped somehow??

So its still on a stock ecu? I wouldnt drive it mate. Depending how far you have to go for ecu fitting and mapping you may be able to very gently drive it there, but i would also consider a trailor for this. Its not worth the risk, however keen you are to get in it.

Surely those who do have upgraded injectors have to get the car to get mapped somehow??

I would imagine most people either get the injectors fitted at the same place that will be doing the mapping, or trailer their car to the mapper.

Why the hell would you fit parts that generally need the ECU remapped months before the remap date? You'd have been better asking this question BEFORE you fit the injectors.

Iv just had some very good\lucky news, the garage that we're fitting the injectors today havnt started so iv told them not to bother! PHEEEEW!! Cheers for the advioce guys, shuda asked you lot first ay!! Can anyone recommend me somewhere I can get both injectors and mapping done??

Hi guys! Just had some 550cc injectors fitted on my car today and planning on getting it mapped early september. Im running a small single and was just wondering if its safe to drive until it gets mapped??:confused:

Can you clarify it's been previously mapped? or are you running a small single on a stock ECU? with no additional fuel management?

Can you clarify it's been previously mapped? or are you running a small single on a stock ECU? with no additional fuel management?

No the car has not been mapped at all and is still on the stock ECU. The single turbo has not long been installed and is very rarely used. Every time it has been driven it has been driven at ver low revs and low boost.

No the car has not been mapped at all and is still on the stock ECU. The single turbo has not long been installed and is very rarely used. Every time it has been driven it has been driven at ver low revs and low boost.

I would not drive it full stop until you have the fueling upgrades and ECU fitted and mapped.

Yes it may start and seem to run okay but you have know way of knowing what the fueling/ignition is doing, you could be running lean and risk detonation or over fueling causing bore wash and oil contamination, both could trash your engine.

What other accompanying mods have been done in conjunction with the turbo?

Manifold? Fuel system? etc.

The car has: double de-cat exhaust system, T61 hybrid turbo, uprated T4 manifold, front mount intercooler, walbro 255lph fuel pump, tial BOV. HKS style wastegate, screamer pipe, NGKBKR7E plugs.

Only injectors and mapping left to do to complete the conversion.

Edited by black_widow87 (see edit history)

Might help if we knew what the turbo was, some of the smaller singles are actually not pushing significantly more air than the stock twins on BPU, so in that case it may not be so far out, but in any case i wouldn't drive it without a wideband fitted so i at least know how the fuelling is.

So what ecu are you going to have fitted, you cannot re map the stock one, so you will have to have a mappable ecu fited. Some are virtually plug and play, but if you have an automatic gearbox this will change the picture somewhat. I get a horrible feeling you think this will work (properly) with the stock ecu. It won't.

No never driven it on boost, always below O on my boost gauge.

Ah right, I must have mis-understood the following post :)