The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heaters not getting warm.....

Evil_Nuts

As the title says, heaters only get warm when revs held on...

Engine temp gauge holds at normal, no leaks seen....I pressure tested it, it was ok.....pump looks ok...coolant looks like its circirlating....no coolat in oil or oil in coolant......ordered a thermostat and I've fitted a new pressure cap....my only other thoughts are maybe either the matrix is blocked and or the main radiator is blocked too..........has anyone fixed this problem before?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much doubt it'll be your head gasket. However, heater matrix replacement is a very involved task.

that I do not mind dude........still gonna put my new themostat in too.......gonna try flush the fecking matrix later......hope its doesnt start pissing out like a mother monkey arse bummer![ANGRY][/ANGRY]

Edited by Evil_Nuts
i'm a moron (see edit history)

......hope its doesnt start pissing out like a mother monkey arse bummer![ANGRY][/ANGRY]

What the hell is a mother monkey arse bummer :blink:

Is it worse than doing piston rings on a 2.2 Diesel Avensis...lol, if not.....WOOOOHOOOOOO!

I did it not long ago and it's something like a 10 hour job

Does your expansion tank have any coolant in it

Have you tried running the engine with the rad cap off to release any air in the system as their known to suffer from air locks.

Put the heater on full hot and run the engine up to temp with the rad cap off, raise the revs to around 2000 rpm which will help force out any air, drop the revs to tickover top up with coolant and check heater.

Does your expansion tank have any coolant in it

Have you tried running the engine with the rad cap off to release any air in the system as their known to suffer from air locks.

Put the heater on full hot and run the engine up to temp with the rad cap off, raise the revs to around 2000 rpm which will help force out any air, drop the revs to tickover top up with coolant and check heater.

Gonna have a crack after work..........and refill with H2O till my stat gets here friday......tbh i havent spent a great deal of time trying to bleed the system........I'll let you know tho.....thanks for the advice!

It's not that bad when you have done it once or 15 times :)

I know where to come for help if/when I do mine. :D My heater's been luke-warm for ages but I haven't got round to doing anything about it other than reverse/forward flushing the matrix with a garden hose.

Our little Fiesta has a brilliant heater: I changed a coolant hose at the weekend and gave it a run up and down the Roman Road to make sure it had no airlocks. Had to run the car with the heater on full, and it was really roasting, almost painful on my skin!

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Just done a sniff test, turned out there wasn't any exhaust gases in the coolant.......drove home and no temperature issues....i bloody hope its the themostat...i've only had her a week!!!!! How bad can airlocks get on the Supra??? Or am i just tring to convince myself its not the headgasket???