The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Difference and opinions on a FCD and Mines ECU

Supralad

As my car has had a BPU im going to need either or the FCD or Mines ECU. (i assume you cant have both?)

What are the differences between the two, does the mines ECU contain a FCD built into it or does it just raise the revs to 8000?

Difference in cost and fitting as well if possible.

Anyone shed some light on this please.

Spank you :D

Mines ECU is the far better option as it does more than just remove the boost cut, more aggressive timing, more boost are to be expected, and they just replace the stock ECU. But unlike similar ECUs they can be bought and mapped to specific mods...

ok pretty much all i needed to know. Looks like a mines ECU is to be fitted.

Thanks for info.

But unlike similar ECUs they can be bought and mapped to specific mods...

I might be misreading that, but the Mines ECU cannot be remapped. I think when they're first bought (years and years ago), they can be tailored to suit whatever the purchaser has on his supra. Each unit will be a little different, but generally as I understand, they are perfect for the BPU level car.

It cant be remapped? So how can i expect power gains from an ECU that cant be remapped?

Now im just confused.

It's simply that they were changed to certain specs........

..........but now not be changed further.

So they are arguably good/better than a stock ECU for bpu but you cannot 'remap' / change them from what you buy :)

What are the differences between the two, does the mines ECU contain a FCD built into it or does it just raise the revs to 8000?

Mine's ECU

Is a stock ECU that has been 'chipped' then mapped by Mine's

Fueling/ignition mapped for slightly more power (cannot be remapped by user)

Removes the stock fuel cut, so you can run higher boost.

Removes stock speed limiter.

I don't think it raises the rev limit, if it does it won't raise it as high as 8K.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6473/16273a.jpg

FCD (Fuel Cut Defencer)

Is a box that is wired into the ECU wiring loom, it fool the ECU and effectively removes or raises the standard fuel cut level.

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/L_1329.jpg

If you can find a 2nd hand Mine's ECU cheap then fine, personally I would just fit an FCD.

so a Mines ECU is clearly the better option then as it does everything the FCD does and gives you a power gain & removes stock speed limiter?

sounds silly just to get the FCD

The Mine's ECU costs a lot more - new they are around £800/exchange or £1400/non-exchange - an FCD around £70. As I said if you can find a Mine's ECU second hand cheap then go for it, but they are very rare.

The Mine's ECU costs a lot more - new they are around £800/exchange or £1400/non-exchange - an FCD around £70. As I said if you can find a Mine's ECU second hand cheap then go for it, but they are very rare.

Ah right ok, i didnt know this nor the price difference was so huge. I think i may know someone who has one spare, but unsure about the price on it.

Anyway thanks for clearing this up.

I think when they're first bought (years and years ago), they can be tailored to suit whatever the purchaser has on his car.

Thats what I meant, sorry, poorly worded.

There used to be a facillity provided by Mines where if you could provide them the ECU serial number, they would tell you the state of tune but I believe thats been withdrawn now?

My Mines ECU boosted to 1.1 with the 1st cat in. I didn't want to run like that so I Decatted for peace of mind.

My Rev limit must be around 8k. On the few rare occasions I have tried (namely when I got the car to see) the needle goes right off the end of the rev counter before bouncing and 8k is the end of the counter.

No fuel cut and no speed limit for me either.

I assume the timing advance is there too.

ECU is the best option if you can get one for a couple of hundered quid, you will spend a fair few bob on de-limiters and fuel cut defencers anyway. As mentioned it's whether you can get one :D

problem is that if you plan to go for more power mods then its a lot of money for something that needs to be replaced anyway. i.e. FCD/BCC = £50 - £80, Mines ECU = £800, then if you want to change anything else the Mines can't be remapped so you need to take it out and put a map'able ECU in. So unless you can find someone else who wants to buy it thats £800 down the pan. You will always be able to sell on a FCD/BCC.

Mines is a pre-mapped replacement ECU which will be more than capable of running BPU+++ and compared to buying a piggy-back and having it mapped it certainly seems better value for BPU levels, these sell second hand for around £300 which is cheap and functional.