The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why the supra?

dwayne

Hey guys, just a random interest in why everyone chose the supra in the first place. was it by chance, recommendation etc etc?

i knew i wanted a supra 7 or 8 years ago (maybe more) when i saw a black one on the front cover of a japanese performance magazine (belonging to Paul Whiffin) while i was waiting to pay for fuel in a petrol station... it was love at first sight :)

anyone else want to share ;)

My mate on here (lamboyello) bought one a couple years back off a guy on here, Amo something. It was, by a clear mile, the most amazing car i'd ever seen. I swore i'd own one and i did and i got the exact same feeling when i went to see it. I've been addicted ever since.

My first car was a '70s Celica ST, then I had the opportunity to buy a MkII, then wow, the MkIII became affordable so had a couple of those, then pushed the boat out for the first of my MkIV's.

Plenty of other cars in between, so I've strayed often but the love affair I'd started with Toyota has remained strong to this day.

Easy cars to love, mechanically reliable etc but most importantly to me, the looks and the pleasure I get driving them.

I was about 11 or 12, dad wanted to watch a film, fast and the furious, i so bought him the dvd, no intrest in cars back then, the family on a saturday evening sat down with a chinese to watch the film, normal film, was good. So watched it again on my own the next week, coming towards the end chase with the bikes and the supra, i saw a back shot of it doing a jump downhill, love at first sight, 'a machine that looks this cool, THATS ALL ME!!' found the name, googled it and saw a stock silver supra, from that day i had to have one, no matter what.

My sister still laughs at me for still liking them, becuase everyone thought it was a pahse id grow out of, 8 years on, its gotten worse:D

It's one of the best looking Japanese cars of its era, but also hasn't really aged.

There's the agressive but sleek looks, the build quality and the fact that the drivers seat and dash surround is more akin to that found in a fighter jet, than a '90s car.

There was a white UK manual Supra going as a prize in a 1995 issue of Top Gear magazine. I liked the car, entered the comp, but unfortunately I didn't win it.

In 2001 I'd had a Celica Supra 2.8i for a good few years and it had been a really good car, so a MkIV Supra seemed a good option as a replacement... Ferrari like performance, affordable (it wasn't for me in 1995) and Toyota reliability.

I actually ended up buying a white 1995 UK manual Supra (I don't think it's the same one as in the 1995 Top Gear mag comp though!) and I still have it.

The fact it has a better ar*e than most girls :p

True, but I wouldn't want to spank it! ;)

I was at a car show in Redhill, Surrey in 1993, and the Supra had only just been released on the market, and ever since then I had to have one eventually. A guy living near to me in Eastbourne used to drive his past my flat every day, so I thought it was about time I had to get one. :)

I haven't looked back since. Well, only briefly once I've rushed past my 'victims'. :D

Edited by AndrewOW (see edit history)

I was never got into cars until about 5 years ago when I was 24. I had an ST202 celica which I loved and one day saw a supra drive out of a junction and just fell in love with the look. Now I love the performance too.

In the mid-to-late 80's a neighbour had a white MKIII. I loved the shape, styling and the fact it was so exclusive - there weren't many supercars around Cardiff when I was growing up - you'd see a Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus etc now and then but this was something right outside my front door I could see and touch.

Unfortunately, my neighbour had to sell due to the fuel consumption - didn't really suit his job (sales rep!) and he had a baby on the way.

When the MKIV came out I loved the updated styling, the curves etc. Again, didn't really see a lot of them apart from in the car mags. When I could drive, I had a Celica for a while until more recently when I've been lucky enough to be able to have a house and still afford to run a Supra - and I also found one that had been extremely well looked after (very important, given their age!).

I love driving it - the power is great, it's comfortable and handles well. Fantastic car :D

I wanted the most exciting car for my budget at the time. I knew I wanted a car with the engine at the front and rear wheel drive, and the Supra's looks helped too.

Six years on and having been given the chance to drive countless newer cars, and I still don't want anything else.

Mental car. :)

I too wanted a car that was RWD with the engine at the front. I don't believe there are many options with the smaller budget at the time. The Supra was perfect. It has the looks, power, RWD, and engine at the front.

Glad I chose it over the MR2 by far.

I had an interest a few years back in one, but was never really overwelmed to get one.

Feb 2009 my G60 blew so i desided to call it a day with that :( as it would have been about £2k to fix + i still needed to go management

So i started to look. My main interest was a P1 until i got the insurance quotes!!! So i kept looking for the fastest car with a good insurance price.

Finally i though "OH A SUPRA?" Got a quote at £380 fully comp....

So for me it was the insurance cost with the amount of power i was getting :)

:blink: wtf...

I got mine because I think it's one of the best looking jap cars ever made, especially of it's era.

Well I never did like the front is what I meant seeing as mine had no active splitter it just looked funny. I guess with the right stance and active splitter I would have liked the shape much more