The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any tiptronic aerotops?

D3xt3r

Hi

Im currently selling my MR2 because I want more power and I really liked the Supra since years but couldnt afford one till now. So Im searching through all the specs I could find and I decided I want a newer one with VVTI and the tiptronic gearbox. But I cant seem to find any Aerotops with an tiptronic gearbox. Were they ever made or could you only get Aerotops in Automatic and in Manual (US and Europe) ?

Only if imported from Japan, correct.

Europe made no Aerotops at all.

USA made Aerotops quite a bit later and always had the option for manual transmission. Supras ceased production for US markets in 1998.

Its quite funny cause Aerotop Turbo supes are like rocking horse shit here, while its exact opposite in the USA. Aerotops (Targa Tops) are common as anything, while Manual Hardtops are rare as feck there.

You would also have to put up with it being a Left hand Drive. :)

I wouldnt say its FnF hype. They've been expensive for a long time. There is a huge demand for them once the tuning became readily available. Crazy HP for cheap money when compared to what you need to dump into US domestics for equal power.

There is 0 importation, so the market reflects the demand.

Oh I live in germany all cars have their wheels on the left here ;) But I think I could live with one on the right too just needs some time to get used too. But I would really dig one of these tiptronic things for comfortable and fast driving.

Can you tell me if there is an E number on the headlights at the cars which are imported from japan? If not I think I would need to buy german headlights for the dumb E number on them,

Originally posted by Supraguy

Europe made no Aerotops at all.

Not true - only Britain. On the continent, the export spec (eg UK, US) in LHD form they had a choice of aero or hard top - as the car was made for america anyway!

You should be able to source a TT aerotop LHD in Europe. Not sure whether there was an auto/manual choice mind.....