The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cutting the dash... but nicely!

mawby

Can it be done? I want to install a UK fog light switch into my J-Spec dash. The back of the dash has the mounting bracket to hold the switch so all I need to do is cut a hole in the dash for the switch to poke through. But, I'll be extremely peed off if it looks like a school boy has attacked it with a hacksaw... which I'm afraid it might do if I attempt to cut it! So has anyone managed to cut it and round the edges nicely so it looks factory installed, and without damaging the lovely dash covering? Any advice of how to do it?

20072010114.jpg

20072010112.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way I can see you being able to do this DIY style, is with a lot of patience.

If you cut it out, but leave a couple of mm extra and then get a fine file and gently file it back and then at the last bit a fine sand paper to polish of the edges.

It's just a game of patience and not rushing it

I'd use a dremel style multitool, should be quick and fairly painless, use a drillbit first to drill a small pilot hole in each corner from the back, then simply connect the dots from the front with a pencil and using a small cutting disc, cut along the line from the front, take you're time though.

You could also use the template at the back and cut around the inside using a bit with a tapered edge, try and leave a 1-2mm lip then once you've cut the main section out you can use a file or 240ish grit paper on a thin piece of timber as a sanding block to gently sand the edges flush with the rest of the gap. :)

The cut out on a proper dash piece is rounded. so cutting out the hole will be easy but making it look right is almost impossible. I have been asked to do this and can't see a way of doing it so it looks like the original without alot work that is not cost effective.

The cut out on a proper dash piece is rounded. so cutting out the hole will be easy but making it look right is almost impossible. I have been asked to do this and can't see a way of doing it so it looks like the original without alot work that is not cost effective.

THis is exactly what I was going to say but Dave saved the trouble :)

The only way to do it without the cut edge visible is if you paint the dash panels. Without painting that horrible plastic finish will have a rough edge where you need to round it.

Another option might be to get a replacement panel from a later model car as they often have the folding mirror switch hole cut out from the factory. Edit - facelift won't work as the finish is a different colour - needs to be one of the cross over ones. They are available though, I have two but both are painted.

Another option might be to get a replacement panel from a later model car as they often have the folding mirror switch hole cut out from the factory. Edit - facelift won't work as the finish is a different colour

Prefacelifts have the fold in option to, my mate had a 1995 aero with fold in mirrors.

So he could get a prefaclift panel with the mirror hole cut from the factory, think that would be the best option and will be less hastle in the end:)

As said a dremel, I use them for model making and there are a lot of tools that can be used from the wide variety of tools. When doing the same thing on a model, the way Ido it is as follows.

1. Drill a hole in each corner.

2. Using the tool which is a circular cutting blade, link the holes up.

3. With the dremel speed down on the lowest setting, use a grinding stone to round the edges.

Hope this helps you out mate.

Guest Snaps

I agree with the dremel idea too, UNLESS the early model fold-in mirrors use the top hole for the button, which would work, as the rear fog light button also uses the top hole.

But how do you plan on wiring it up? It's not just a plug-and-play thing, the UK rear lights use the outside red light as both the lights-on lights and the braking lights, with the inside brake light doing only the fog light, and nothing else.

Thanks for the suggestions. So I either Dremel it but there's a good chance the rubber covering will lot naff unless I can smooth it into the edge very carefully and consistently, or buy one with a mirror switch hole already in. I did think about that but wanted to explore the not-spending-any-money-cause-I-don't-have-any option first. :)

But how do you plan on wiring it up? It's not just a plug-and-play thing, the UK rear lights use the outside red light as both the lights-on lights and the braking lights, with the inside brake light doing only the fog light, and nothing else.
That's not a problem. My car already has a fog light installed into the bumper. And thankfully when I quickly attached the exiting wires to the UK switch it just worked! I was quite surprised.

foglight.jpeg

Are the designated holes under the stereo already in use Lee?
The current rocker switch is where the UK heated seats switch would go, but the UK switch pokes through too far compared to the others (slip & spoiler) and looks out of place, plus I'd have to come up with some way of mounting the switch so it doesn't fall away when you press it. I am going to need a replacement blanking plate for it though if anyone has one.

20072010115.jpg

My switch is where you wanted to "cut" the hole Mawby. This was done before I got the car but looks like it has used the bottom of the three rectangles - cut outs - as in your first pic. To be honest mine (while not the switch I would have choose) looks neat and well done whoever did it. I will PM the last owner to see how he did it and post a pic up in a bit :)

I have also managed to get a genuine rear fog light warning light symbol to light up on the dash too. It's located in the upper right warning light cluster.
I thought the fog light symbol was only on the UK-spec so I didn't check what was available in the upper right section, but I will now. Cheers.

Other option would be to buy a new or 2nd hand UK ignition panel.

I did this. I bought a new UK spec panel with a single banking plate. I have also connected the fog light indicator to come on in one of the disused warning lamp slots. Looks completely factory. :cool:

No bodged aftermarket switches on the dash.

I did this. I bought a new UK spec panel with a single banking plate. I have also connected the fog light indicator to come on in one of the disused warning lamp slots. Looks completely factory. :cool:

No bodged aftermarket switches on the dash.

Part numbers please :D

I've fitted my rear fog switch down in one of the blank holes under the stereo. I have also managed to get a genuine rear fog light warning light symbol to light up on the dash too. It's located in the upper right warning light cluster.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii250/mattcelicasr/IMG_0018-2.jpg

Really nice dash set up there mate! like that alot :thumbs:

But would also be interested in an OEM supra fog switch - part number.

Does anyone know if its a latching switch or needs a relay to make it work.

I'll grab the part number off mine tonight. It's a latching switch.