The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this battery broke beyond repair

jevansio

So a couple of weeks ago I left the Supra with a door open & the battery was dead the next morning. It's a Varley Red Top 25 which ain't got much capacity anyway.

So I put it on charge, but the charger doesn't seem to charge it correctly, keeps flipping between charge & standby.

The battery says "Do not fully discharge" and "Always charge with an alternator" on the warnings.

Have I broke it?

Should I hook it up in series to my other larger battery & attempt to charge it with the alternator or could that take out my other good battery also?

Hi Jay

It's worth a try to use a set of jump leads to connect your Red Top in parallel (+ to +, - to -) with a working battery in a running car. Another option could be to jump start your Supra with a known good battery and take it for a long run.

I wouldn't hold my breath though. Lead acid batteries really don't like being discharged - especially ones constructed for high discharge currents like car batteries.