The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Head lamp refurb - bits to leave chromed?

Digsy

Guys and gals.

When refurbing pre-facelift headlamps to the black facelift stylee, is there any requirement to leave the ribbed reflector area under the dipped beam lense unpainted? I have seen refurbed headlamps with this bit left chromed, but the true facelift lights don't have it.

TBH I'd rather paint the lot but I don't want to end up with a dodgy beam pattern.

Bugger, I hope not :(

I sprayed everything but the shiny rings around the lights, I considered leaving the ribbed reflector bit unpainted but decided not to. It looks from the refurb guide like JB sprayed the flat bits as well:

010711-001_small.jpg

I can't comment on the beam pattern, as I haven't driven my Supra with the new lights in yet thanks to Toyotas speedy parts service :mad:

Originally posted by attilauk

mine have gone quite flaky

Sounds painful :p

I don't know to be honest, but they look nice left as chrome. Not a very useful answer, i know.

Plasticote sell some decent chrome spray if you want to do the rings at the same time :)

Im sure spraying it satin black does affect the beam pattern a bit but not enough to affect an MOT as the actual beam is still directed properly.

I left my rings chromed as you can see from the pictures, Im still due to do my UK headlamps and Im planning on just spraying everything so I wont have the rings. To get the ring effect you have to mask them off and Im not going to bother with that this time.

JB

Originally posted by Branners

Im sure spraying it satin black does affect the beam pattern a bit but not enough to affect an MOT as the actual beam is still directed properly.

JB: I take it yourse went through an MOT OK with the refurbed lights, then?

Originally posted by Darren Blake

JB: I take it yourse went through an MOT OK with the refurbed lights, then?

Mine certainly passed an MOT, infact I think its passed 2 since then from different garages. So I dont see it being a problem. The late spec lights have dark insides anyway dont they?

All the paint is going to do is just stop light scatter so it wont throw any extra light up, might make the lights a bit dimmer but just stick some decent bulbs in if its a problem.

JB

Originally posted by Chase

Try here :

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20924&highlight=black+eyes

Did mine a few weeks back. Kept the rings, but did everything else a charcoal colour rather than black. Took about an hour.

I see you're from Bury St Edmunds Stevo. I took my driving test there. Used to live in Thetford.

Chase: That shade looks good on a silver car. When I've got mine done I'm going to swap my UK ones back out for a while and decide what to do with them. I'm not sure a light car could carry black off without looking like a panda.

What exact colour did you use?

When I did my headlights, I checked one painted one against one normal one, and the beam pattern was totally unaffected on main beam. High beam was affected though. Not enough to worry about, just not quite as sharp at the edges.

I painted mine with 600 degree exhaust paint. I wanted to be certain it wouldn't peel off!