The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra, 350z or s2k

Guest Itek

Hi guys im new here some may recognise me from sxoc, I have a bit of a problem ive been looking to move onto a new car for a while and cant decide between a supra tt, 350z or s2k has anyone on here owned any to compare to the supra? My main concern is can a supra corner as good as the 350z and s2k on a b road?

Well i sold my Supra at the beginning of the year, and quite fancied a 350Z , but i ended up buying a Skyline 350GT which is the same chassis and running gear as the 350Z only 7" longer,

and IMO the Supra feels and handles noticeably better than the 350, which was quite a surprise to me.

My 350z massively out-performed my Supra (NA) on handling through country roads, both standard the z was in a different class and I had comments on the difference from passengers for things like body roll. Much faster than an NA, not in TT league but the power delivery was instant in just about any gear.

Don't know much about the s2k, always been tempted to try one but they look tail happy.

I don't see why you would get bored of a Zed more than any other car though you are limited on modding options. I got rid of mine for a 330BMW as i wanted more comfort and toys, certainly wasn't bored. My bro has my old zed and adores it.

i found the standard s2000 very unimpressive, didnt get much feedback through the car when kainnin it, also found it very tight inside and the most annoying thing, no where to pit anything, no storage compartments, just 2 nets either side of the gearbox tunnel,,,,grrr!

i imagine with a few mods, ie coilovers and even an exhaust and filter just to let that lump breath better, another thing stock like any vtec they dont sing like they do with a couple of basic bolt ons.

then z is a cool car, much the same performance wise as the s2000 but oviously more torque low down, imo a better all rounder than the s2000.

a supra is banging buy one lololololololololol

seriously the build quality of a supra in my opinion even being a older car in most cases is in a different league, would have to be a tt to be comparing to the other to yes???

On a B road the smaller size, lighter weight and more advanced suspension of the Honda would make it corner a lot faster, but if grunt between corners was a significant requirement (long straight, uphill sections) the Supra TT would pull back some advantage. Build quality of the TT is far better than either alternatives, the Honda is a bit of a rot box, as may prove the case with the Nissan based on recent history of their cars. You have cited 3 very different types of car, so it's hard to give more meaningful advice.

Thanks for the replys so far guys if I got a supra it would definitely be getting modified to around 400bhp and a set of wheels and the s2k and 350z would be getting breather mods and a set of wheels. I would definitely choose the supra if I could be convinced that it handled well I just cant imagine it cornering well due to its weight.

Properly setup with good suspension, wheels, tyres and brakes the Supra can be very quick in the right hands. With poor sloppy suspension, cheap tyres, silly wheels and poor brakes it can be a BIG handful.

This Supra doesn't do too bad against the smaller lighter competition, all cars are far from standard though.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4969527356971290719#

and this one isn't scared of a few corners either....

jpPKL80XUYg

If you want big HP and a fairly light car what about an RX-7? I run a Skyline GTS-t on track days, and it can hold it's own with some interesting cars, they are MUCH lighter than a TT Supra or a GTR, cheap as chips to buy, and there's a HUGE amount of stuff available to get more power and better handling from them.

If you want big HP and a fairly light car what about an RX-7? I run a Skyline GTS-t on track days, and it can hold it's own with some interesting cars, they are MUCH lighter than a TT Supra or a GTR, cheap as chips to buy, and there's a HUGE amount of stuff available to get more power and better handling from them.

Ive got an s14a track car that has 434bhp at the wheels and it weighs just over a ton its fast enough :D im just wanting a nice fast and fun road car. I wouldnt touch an rx7 with a shit covered stick beautiful car with a flawed engine (open can of worms)

Edited by Itek (see edit history)

Thanks for the replys so far guys if I got a supra it would definitely be getting modified to around 400bhp and a set of wheels and the s2k and 350z would be getting breather mods and a set of wheels. I would definitely choose the supra if I could be convinced that it handled well I just cant imagine it cornering well due to its weight.

Just for example,

Supra TT 1490-1510KG

Supra N/A 1430-1470KG

350Z 1461KG

Skyline 350GT/G35 1528KG

S2000 1285KG but i suspect thats on the Conservative side.

Very little between the Supra and the 350Z weight wise, the 350Z would definitely have the performance advantage over the Supra N/A, but set up properly i think the Supra would be equal or even have a slight advantage in the right hands;)

Right ive disregarded the 350z from the equation now as I would definitely much rather have a supra knowing they handle similarly just difficult to decide between the supra and an s2k.....

On a B road the smaller size, lighter weight and more advanced suspension of the Honda would make it corner a lot faster, but if grunt between corners was a significant requirement (long straight, uphill sections) the Supra TT would pull back some advantage. Build quality of the TT is far better than either alternatives, the Honda is a bit of a rot box, as may prove the case with the Nissan based on recent history of their cars. You have cited 3 very different types of car, so it's hard to give more meaningful advice.

thats as good as a response can get....completely agree with the above.

For me a Supra with some nice mods wipes the floor with the rest, the build quality, reliability and tuneability is 2nd to none.

The grip and handling of the supra when setup properly is more than adequate and rewarding.

imi

Right ive disregarded the 350z from the equation now as I would definitely much rather have a supra knowing they handle similarly just difficult to decide between the supra and an s2k.....

best to try both...where are you based, perhaps you can arrange a passenger ride in a well setup supra.

oh and mentioned before, the s2k is crammed for space - that is an understatement... :)

imi

I stay just outside Glasgow im going to try arrange a testdrive of an s2k at a dealer or something and see if it suits me if not Ill bite the bullet and buy a supra :) Do the japanese models have any version which is similar spec to the uk model i.e bigger brakes, adjustable front spoiler, cruise control etc?

Do the japanese models have any version which is similar spec to the uk model i.e bigger brakes, adjustable front spoiler, cruise control etc?

Have a read through the FAQ section HERE

The majority of J-spec TT's have the auto front spoiler. The larger spec brakes were standard or an option on a lot of J-spec TT's, the majority of the facelift TT's (05/96 onwards) have the larger brakes as standard. CC not sure.

The most desirable model to have is the late model (09/97 onwards) J-spec TT with VVTi.

I wouldn't rush into anything, plenty of info on the club - whatever you decide make it an informed decision.

Worst comes to the worst I can sell it again but its between an s2k or a supra I know ill enjoy both of them just which I enjoy the most that matters.

Worst comes to the worst I can sell it again but its between an s2k or a supra I know ill enjoy both of them just which I enjoy the most that matters.

you know what they say....much easier to buy, much harder to sell...

do it once, do it right :)

ive had both s2000 & super (current)

S2000 was wicked, only fault is on size and luggage space (NONE :)) felt good to drive and thought it was a well responsive drive. Supra is as above but with space, down side its hell of a big car.

My opinion on 350, MEH! if thats counts for anything lol

Id choose supra, which i did. never miss the s2000 suprisingly

For me the trouble with more involving or lighter alternatives to the supra is that the roads where they are quicker/more fun are the ones where you are starting to chance your arm with reduced lines of sight....eg probably ones where you should be thinking twice about pushing on anyway.......whereas the Supra's grunt means you can enjoy the more open B roads and flowing A roads as much as most other cars but also its a great car to overtake in.........My old NA was great and in the corners was at least the match for my TT but when you are pushing on and catch up with a convoy of Sunday drivers then unless faced with a very clear straight stretch of road in the NA you become part of the convoy......the TT allows you to do a few quick and safe overtakes and gets you onto the next bit of traffic free road.....

ive had both s2000 & super (current)

S2000 was wicked, only fault is on size and luggage space (NONE :)) felt good to drive and thought it was a well responsive drive. Supra is as above but with space, down side its hell of a big car.

My opinion on 350, MEH! if thats counts for anything lol

Id choose supra, which i did. never miss the s2000 suprisingly

How does the supra compare handling wise?