The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blowing Issue - cracked manifold

Stonkin

Hi, found out the blowing issue i have is a cracked manifold along one of the original welds. All the top studs were tight and fine but all of the bottom were finger loose and one of them totally missing. One of the support bars has also cracked.

Would i be ok to get it tig welded to save replacing?

As a VERY temporary fix it could be welded but it will crack again, and more quickly than before. The cracks, and thus the weld repair will be contaminated with carbon now. Look to bin it and find something properly made long term.

i agree with this but i think you should get it welded atleast you can make pod, then buy a new one after :eyebrows:

From what I can see that rod to the turbo flange could be doing more harm than good, I would probably chop it off when you get it welded. MIG with a stainless filler wire would be my choice for fixing it (temporarily) It should last a bit longer, certainly get you through the race weekend, with luck

That's an old turbosh1t one isn't it. I was always dubious of those rods due to the expansion rates when it got hot, and also wasn't really sure what it was trying to support when it's a vertical load on a lateral bar.

Still at least it was cheap :)

Pretty certain Charlie said it was an obx Ian, although could be what turbofit were also using. Its gone off to be welded anyway, but if i wanted to replace this, what would be my options?

Looking at the pic its undivided right? If i bought a new manifold could the wastegate and screamer pipe i have be used and would it all bolt straight together and fit or is fabrication work likely to be needed?

Just trying to gather my options for when it needs replacing.

Ok, cheers Jamie.

Should have it back next w'end, so at least i can put the dash and dials back together and it will look like a car again. It just needs to hold together for some abuse before pod to get used to it again and make sure its running ok and then at pod :)

That's an old turbosh1t one isn't it. I was always dubious of those rods due to the expansion rates when it got hot, and also wasn't really sure what it was trying to support when it's a vertical load on a lateral bar.

Still at least it was cheap :)

Agreed, they aren't doing anything useful, in fact they are probably adding stress.