The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Expensive flush

David P

Yesterday I collected the made to measure braided oil hoses from Corby Hose and Hydraulic, they claimed them to be tested to 100psi.

Spent all day today laying under the car in the rain plumbing in the relocated oil filter, Mocal stat and oil cooler.

It was a very akward job, difficult to get at, and I was not really tooled up properly, but got the job jobbed.

I have had a threaded bush made to marry my favorite filter to the block, a Fram PH 4854, it ups the oil capacity by around a litre.

Here's a snap of it next to a standard Supra filter.

attachment.php?attachmentid=113625&d=1279150305

I had to take out the ECU to drill the holes for the fixing bolts, but it fits in snugly next to the fuel filter and is nice and easy to get at.

attachment.php?attachmentid=113626&d=1279150305

Spun her over with the plugs out to fill the pipes, filter and cooler, then started her up and leak checked, all good.

On my way home, thankfully at only a 40mph trundle, the oil pressure dropped to zero.

I immediately cut the engine and pulled over.

On inspection, I found one of the new hoses had blown at the fitting after the stat.

attachment.php?attachmentid=113627&d=1279150305

And on closer inspection found that it had not been swaged.

attachment.php?attachmentid=113628&d=1279150305

In retrospect it looks obvious, but I didn't notice before and during fitting.

No harm has come to the engine, but what a mess, and it will take me another full day to put it right.

Nevertheless, I hope without dispute, they cough up the £92.32 for the 2 gallons of Redline 5/30W.

P.S. If you are driving on the A6003 past Corby tomorrow, watch out for the Redline slick.

js800_relocation_006.jpg

js800_relocation_003.jpg

js800_relocation_008.jpg

js800_relocation_011.jpg

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Lucky escape yes, but I have learned the hard way to go gently and pay attention for a while after such major surgery, just in case.

I have made a running repair by using a spare hose as a return loop after the stat and filled up with a cocktail of odds and sods of synthetic oils.

It is only one pipe I need to change, and fortunately, it is the easiest one to get at, but it means stripping the under guards again to do it, then a lot of running around, cleaning up the mess from 2 U.S. gallons of oil and waiting for more oil to arrive.

All in all, a right wucking find up.

Apparently, it had been swaged, but it turns out that the 'monkey' had used the wrong collar for the job on the offending joint.

If you look closely at the pics it can be seen that the collar is different from the other that worked O.K.

Apparently, it had been swaged, but it turns out that the 'monkey' had used the wrong collar for the job on the offending joint.

If you look closely at the pics it can be seen that the collar is different from the other that worked O.K.

Glad you got it sorted David. You have to ask what testing they do though.

I have.

It turns out that they had only pressure tested 1 of the 5 hoses. :thumbdown:

After installation, the engine had been ticking over for 30 mins or so to get up to oil stat open temp, then revved to 80 psi hot with no problem, so it had been given a thorough checking over.

Then after 6 miles or so of gentle driving it blew off at 60psi, at a joint where there is no flexing of the hose.

Well at least the n/s suspension got a good soaking in oil, that should help the bolts come out when I change the wishbones. :)

Edited by David P (see edit history)