The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ghetto crank pulley removal help

w41k3r

Me and my bro have been trying to remove my crank pulley by wedging a breaker bar on the floor and cranking the engine it just stops as soon as it cranks also tried leaving the bar a little off the floor to use a bang motion but still didnt work

Any ideas we also used jumper leads from my bros car to rule out crap battery lol but battery seems fine

we had the breaker bar facing passanger side but nothing

any other tips or am i going to have to buy the crank pulley removal tool and what crank removal tool do i buy ?

is there a cheap place to buy one or does anyone have one i could lend or rent local

thanks

It sounds like you are struggling removing the pulley bolt?

If you are a removal tool wont help you as you need the bolt out to remove it.

My last GTR I really struggled with the crank pulley bolt in the end I borrowed a 3/4 inch inpact gun + heated it up to remove it. But you need to be careful not to apply so much heat to melt the front oil seal.

Have you tried a long bar i.e scaffold tube on the end of your breaker bar, then put the car in gear have a helper hit the brakes and pull on the breaker bar?

You'll need to get the bolt out before you can use the crank pully tool! You could try and lock the flywheel up and getting a VERY big breaker bar and a gorilla to pull on it!

Also try and get a big chisel and hammer and try to loosen the bolt that way, you'll need a new pulley bolt after though! :)

i just had the exact same thing , i ended up geting a crank locking tool made and bolting it to the crank pully using the 2 m8 holes that a pree drilled and tapped. i then had to remove the bonnet get a big breaker bar and a scaffolding pole and off she popped.

Mate you need to make a tool. Once you have you will wish you did it from the begining. I used 2 peices of angle iron (from an old bed frame) in a Y form simply bolted at the join, though welded would be best. The longer part of the Y rests against the driver side chassis section in the engine bay. The V part of the Y sits across the pulley and requires two holes drilling for the M8 bolts to pass through into the threaded holes of the pulley which are either side of your favourite bolt. Big breaker and probably a pole to get the leverage and it will come out without the need of power tools, heat etc. I foolishly battled for a couple of days with mine until I spent half hour making a tool and then 5 minutes cracking the bolt.

Honest, when they are as tight as that, IMO you need a tool, especially if it's an auto.

im sure the bolt comes off counter clockwise i did mine but used a kit from someone on here and a 6ft piece of scaffold pole came off easy they are tourqed to 320 ft lbs .

320 Nm isn't it? Aka bastid tight.

Well my pulley lock up tool came today bought a sealey one for £30 first pull on the extension bar and the lock up tool broke!!!!!!

so weve accepted defeat and its gone of on tow to my bros mates garage where hopefully it will be sorted

absolute nightmare

I have a full set including tool to pull off the pulley, I would want a deposit by paypal prior to posting, and for you to cover posting costs which is roughly £20 each way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/aberdeenstu/DSCN7235.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/aberdeenstu/DSCN7237.jpg

Thats very pretty ,May I ask where you acquired that.

Well my pulley lock up tool came today bought a sealey one for £30 first pull on the extension bar and the lock up tool broke!!!!!!

so weve accepted defeat and its gone of on tow to my bros mates garage where hopefully it will be sorted

absolute nightmare

Jeez that sounds a nightmare hope the garage sorts it out mate

Cheers

-Ian-

absolute nightmare

What type of tool did you buy from Sealy, do you have a part number? I am very curious as I didnt realise there was one commercially available other than the Toyota one.

it was a universal pulley lock up tool it was a long shot but was as described on here like a y shape so went with it but what a load of cr*p

and matt h im not sure it must just be age weve tried allsorts the garage will try gunning it of and if not it will be heated up as a last resort