The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A convertion to turbo

Guest kevin.rundell

Guest kevin.rundell

im needing some advice as to how easy it is to convert a N/A to turbo be it engine swap or turbo convertion,

i've had a look on the form and cant realy see anyting that helps,

any advice form the pros would be great, i.e. is it worth it or would i ber better just buying to TT and playing with that?

sorry for the basic questions but yes....... i am new :)

You'll get people biased to either option. For me I went the NA-T route as i fancied doing somethig different. I managed to do it in my garage at home with a lot of help from my mate who is a good mechanic, for around £1200 including buying the ECU, Turbo, FMIC etc. The stock NA engine is good for 500BHP+ some say it will take around 600-650BHP. The stock ecu will enable you to map up to aroud the 440bhp mark with a decent piggy back ecu (i'm using the Greddy Emanage Blue). For more than that you will reuire a stand alone management system e.g a Link ECU. If you intend on running a low boost system i.e 6-7psi you can get away with the stock headgasket. I'd advise changing your injectors though, i managed to get hold of some MKIII Supra Turbo ones from the MKIII forum for £40 and made a resistor pack as the impedance is different. I hae been running the car as an NA-T for over a year now at 6psi around 380BHP and it makes me smile everytime i drive the car, the only trouble i had was my clutch would slip if i gave it a good blast. I've since got a paddle clutch courtesy of Dr Jekyll which has sorted this. Again as the lads have mentioned http://www.clubna-t.com is a good place to get your info from.

You'll get people biased to either option. For me I went the NA-T route as i fancied doing somethig different. I managed to do it in my garage at home with a lot of help from my mate who is a good mechanic, for around £1200 including buying the ECU, Turbo, FMIC etc. The stock NA engine is good for 500BHP+ some say it will take around 600-650BHP. The stock ecu will enable you to map up to aroud the 440bhp mark with a decent piggy back ecu (i'm using the Greddy Emanage Blue). For more than that you will reuire a stand alone management system e.g a Link ECU. If you intend on running a low boost system i.e 6-7psi you can get away with the stock headgasket. I'd advise changing your injectors though, i managed to get hold of some MKIII Supra Turbo ones from the MKIII forum for £40 and made a resistor pack as the impedance is different. I hae been running the car as an NA-T for over a year now at 6psi around 380BHP and it makes me smile everytime i drive the car, the only trouble i had was my clutch would slip if i gave it a good blast. I've since got a paddle clutch courtesy of Dr Jekyll which has sorted this. Again as the lads have mentioned http://www.clubna-t.com is a good place to get your info from.

i petty much echo that exactly. exept i keep toasting turbos, not sure why. probably because everytime i get in the supra i suddly believe im at lemans and drive like a lion with his ball in a bear trap

As I've said dozens of times, the key is really what your ultimate goal for the car is. If you will never want more than 500-550bhp and are prepared to have a compromised setup then NA-T is still viable. If you are after decent power and good driveabilty then it will in general not be much cheaper than the TT engine swap route.

Some say that a lot of folks are biased here when it comes to NA mods, but as an NA owner who's spent endless hours working all the options I personally would not recommend NA-T if you are likely to get bored with 500ish bhp (and having owned a single turbo supra before, that is a suprisingly easy thing to do!)

Clubna-t is a good reasource, but I found a great deal of misguided or even incorrect technical advice being offered and seemly accepted by the masses on there. It's a good start point, but come back here once you get an idea of what you want to do.

I managed to do it in my garage at home with a lot of help from my mate who is a good mechanic, for around £1200 including buying the ECU, Turbo, FMIC etc.

I assume that was using used parts? Do you have a full spec of parts used you can post?

i did a basic na-t and the car dose perform well . the big question , would i do it again?

No would be the answer if im honest, if i do buy another supra it will be a tt6 as this already has the strong gearbox, torsion diff , and low comp engine aswell as an electronic igniotion so there is more space to actually fit the turbo and its not such a squeeze. and with the throttle being on the oposite side of the engine pipeing is easyer to route and not such a clutter that get heated by the turbo.

Would i do it again?

Hell Yeah!

I kinda know what you mean Dr Jekyll but i like being a bit different. I'm running a T70 on a T3 flange and touch wood i haven't had any turbo issues yet. I would love the 6spd running gear but the price has gone through the roof! I bought my NA 7 years ago when i was 22, i could insure a UK spec TT but they were very expensive then, or my other option was an imported SZ. I went down the SZ route but was paying £2k a year to insure it. I've modified just about everything on the car from UK brakes to various bodykits and paint schemes, to having the facia for my headunit mounted in the roof lining by the map light. The engine was the last thing i did. After countles spending over the years i couldn't justify starting again with a TT 6, the NA-T kit came up at the right price from Stuart W. The rest is history.

And as for Homer's comment again i see what your saying but surely when your chasing 500+ BHP it will be expensive with either set up?!

Nic, here is a basic spec as i will no doubt forget some items

God Speed FMIC and custom hard pipe kit,

White Stone T70 Turbo with T3 flange, 50mm external wastegate and screamer pipe,

Stainless steel mandrel bent manifold to suit above

HKS filter and fitting pipe,

(above purchased secondhand from Stuart W with low milage and at a fair price as he was building his drag car and wanted some funds)

Greddy Emanage Blue £200 bnib on this forum,

3 bar map sensor and ignition harness for above from Envy Performance,

Secondhand MKIII Supra Turbo injectors £40

Custom resistor pack for above made up with components from Farnell,

Lots of silicone hose all shapes and sizes from Mr Sillicone on fleabay,

HKS replica BOV from fleabay,

FPR from fleabay,

6psi 50mm wastegate spring from fleabay,

Loads of heat wrap for the manifold from Listers Motorsport,

TT oil return fitting for sump, custom piped from turbo,

Custom oil feed from spare fitting on existing oil filter housing,

Exhaust modified to meet up with Turbo down pipe.

Thats about it i think, that got me up and running, but i plan for more power so am going to get a thicker HG to lower the compression, a 255lph fuel pump, I have got a custom inlet manifold and 80mm throttle body which is similar to the TT one and saves the messy IC pipework. The FPR isnt much cop but what did i expect for £30 off fleabay so i am going to get a SARD one. I also will need bigger injectors again as the MKIII ones won't be able to cope whith the power i'm hoping to run.

Edited by Supra_Scott
Bad spelling! lol (see edit history)

i know what you mean , the na-t is far more impresssive and exiting than people give it credit for but if i was to shed this much blood sweat and tears again i think i would single a tt and go for silly numbers .

on saying that for what i have spent on the car including the price of the car i cant see anyway i could go faster , my little set up has embarrest some far more expensive performance cars, and it dose sound awsome . its faster than a manual tt and the car and full conversion has cost me a good few grand less than a manual tt would.

The last thing i upset which put a big grin on my face was a Aston Martin V8 Vantage! Best part of £90k and 420BHP, came off an island on a dual carriageway and were side by side well into 3 figures. Don't get me wrong i'd love a V8 Vantage and enough money burning a hole in my pocket to worry about buying one, but for a quick fix on a reasonable budget NA-T = Smiles for miles :D