The mkiv Supra Owners Club

CF bonnets - General consensus?

NOS

Guest Suprastar2009

I have a carbon bonnet on mine and I love it, IMO I think it looks great with the red, but that's what I love about this club so many different looking supras and diverse opinions :)

If you get a carbon bonnet and have it sprayed, thats fine. If you get one and leave it CF it makes your car look like you have just visited a scrap yard and are saving up for it to be sprayed.

That pretty much sums it up for me, although TBH, I can't really see any point in a CF bonnet in the first place.

Wet carbon/Fibre lay-ups are not true "Carbon Fibre" body parts, at best they are just imitation at worst they are heavy, fad and crack prone nightmares. It's all sh1t and it's what 99% of carbon products for any non-supercar are.

Pure Dry Carbon Fibre (stuff that's pure and been in an Autoclave) is what supercar/F1 cars have, that's real carbon fibre with resin.

I believe there are the odd pieces of proper carbon fibre for the Supra floating about, but you have to pay for it.... Top Secret used to do a version of their bonnet in it.

You pay through the nose for proper carbon bits but they are the only ones worth having...otherwise stick with stock.

Most of them serve the purpose to warn you there's an uninsured 18 year old *ick head behind you who has spent all his money on an ill fitting fake CF bonnet rather than on decent tyres and a brake service. (IMHO) ;) Many are heavier than a stock bonnet, most don't fit properly, many allow water into the coil pack cover. Proper ones are very dear, and do you really think losing 4 pounds weight will make the car noticeably faster, or better handling? Once painted (which it will need as it will fade, discolour or go patchy when the lacquer goes funny) who will know anyway?

Most of them serve the purpose to warn you there's an uninsured 18 year old *ick head behind you who has spent all his money on an ill fitting fake CF bonnet rather than on decent tyres and a brake service. (IMHO) ;) Many are heavier than a stock bonnet, most don't fit properly, many allow water into the coil pack cover. Proper ones are very dear, and do you really think losing 4 pounds weight will make the car noticeably faster, or better handling? Once painted (which it will need as it will fade, discolour or go patchy when the lacquer goes funny) who will know anyway?

:yeahthat:

Anyone who's replaced a stock bonnet with a carbon one will tell you there's no difference in weight. Much better going for a (painted) carbon bootlid or doors as there's a much greater weight saving.

Guest blueangel

i only went with the carbon bonnet as i needed to bond to it and after that i painted it too but i got mine real cheap lol so if i had f**ked it up id have just binned it, and yeah real bad fit huge gaps.