The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are LED brake lights bright enough?

Shane

I have just made a good set of rear lights up for my car using my old ones and a set I bought from another member. Both red lights each have a set of 12 LEDs around the outer edge. Looks nice but wonder if the LEDs (bear in mind thats 24 each side) are bright enough for daytime use as brake lights?

At the moment because I am unsure, I have left one normal brake light on each side connected but that ruins the effect of the leds imo.

Toying with the idea of fitting a small relay and switch so I can have the normal bulbs connected as well during daylight. What do others with a ring of LEDS do?

At a guess the ones you have will be set up as side lights, so, no they will not be bright enough for brake. The LED's I use are mega bright, but I can control the brightness with resistors.

OK ta, the member I got them from said they were facelift ones and the lenses do look oem but the LEDs certainly are not and have been hot melt glued in place and pretty badly soldered. Thats why he sold them as half of one ring was not working. When I stripped it down this was because the soldering was so bad, so not a problem. So maybe I should wire them as rear lights and retain the original brake lights. Thanks again.