The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dilemma!! My auto TT for an NA manual? Cost of going single Turbo?

NOS

Have an offer from a guy with an NA manual Supra to trade with my TT. His car is lower mileage and same colour as mine (white).

I ideally want a manual single Turbo - if I bought this NA, what would be the cost (approximate) to convert it to single Turbo?

An NA manual for auto TT?? Not really a far trade IMHO but hey ho. The cost of doing a single be it NA or TT properly I suspect are roughly the same. However a 5spd manual gearbox won't handle it, so you will end up requiring the gearbox ANYWAY, so you are probably better off keeping your TT as a base.

Gav, his is 6 speed manual. Additionally, it's not a straight swap we would be doing - he has offered cash to go with his car.

Reason I want to know the price (roughly) of the conversion, is so I can get a good deal out of him.

Gav, his is 6 speed manual. Additionally, it's not a straight swap we would be doing - he has offered cash to go with his car.

Reason I want to know the price (roughly) of the conversion, is so I can get a good deal out of him.

Hmmm, does potentially change the game slightly.... You would still require an engine plus gubbins for a single BUT potentially the biggest issue of finding a box is sorted. How straight is the rest of the car?

How straight is the rest of the car?

I have not seen it in the flesh. I only got a phone call from the guy 10 minutes ago with the proposition. He gave me the spec and described the car over the phone. He doesn't live too far away so I might arrange to meet.

I would be going back one year (his is 1996) but his has almost 25,000 less miles than mine plus a FSH, which mine doesn't.

When it comes to a single conversion (if wanting it to be manual) then the base stuff you need is the 6 speed box and the TT lump. It's then ~£10k to go single after that.

The cost of changing from auto to manual is probably more than the cost of going NA to TT so it'd be the difference cheaper to do full thing :)

You could probably reduce this amount somewhat by doing the spanner work yourself, and buying cheap (crap) parts off American eBay, or smart second hand buys.

However, a term I've seen used on here before is very fitting for this subject.

Cheap, fast, reliable

Pick two of the above.