The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Admiral Insurance

Clarkey

After reading many of threads about Insurance being invalidated about mods - I remember reading a thread here - about a policy being invalidated because of aftermarket headrests!!!

So, after reading that I thought I'd better make sure my insurance is completely valid. Can't afford for the risk of invalidating my insurance.

Well, I was at first with Admiral for £864. Then I thought, better declare the Turbo Timer, HKS SSQ BOV (Which is v.quiet now), Mesh Grill on the front intakes, Boost & Oil Pressure Gauge, OZ 17" Alloys. Other than the above the car is stock.

Admiral when told, said the mods invalidate the policy and their "Technical Department" (Who I swear are just a bunch of monkeys round a table - thinking sh*t up) deemed the mods as too higher risk to thieves, boy racers and the BOV is more likely to attract thieves and police even though I've got fin on it that makes it silent.

I then rang Adrian Flux and they guy I spoke to Matthew - knew exactly what mods I had done. And that was £974.

What I don't understand - Admiral will happily insure a Supe with a Full Veilside Bodykit - but won't touch one with a Turbo Timer ? What's that about ?

As unconstructive as this comment is, the answer is simply because they are complete morons.

No other business would get away with the shabby operations of insurance companies but we have to except it because firstly we all have to have it and secondly because we get locked into companies for a year in view of not losing any no claims bonus, and because if you cancel before the end of the year you lose most of your money.

Adrian Flux handles things better than most because they have some staff that know about cars. But insurance companies and imports are bad enough but none of them like the idea of ANY modification to a car. It implies that you think your in the fast and the furious and go around racing every night.

Don't know how old you are mate but if over 25, Frizzell (Royal Liverpool and Victoria) are the nuts. They didn't ask me what mods I had on my car and said they don't need to know. They were by far the cheapest insurance group by far. The quote I got closest to Frizzel was over £1000 more and I tried LOADS!! You are right about the department being full of monkeys, they all work for a car insurance firm but know nothing about the cars they are insuring.

I made the move from Admiral to Adrian Flux recently - it's refreshing to deal with a company who is open minded to mods (with the exception of nitrous it seems) - the problem with insurance monkey types is that they don't know what boxes to tick, your turbo timer probably gets grouped as a turbo upgrade, the BOV gets put down as a 25% gain chip and the mesh as a full bodykit - they only have limited drop down boxes and places to place ticks, anything outside of this is hard work for them.

Visit elephant.co.uk online and tick that you have mods, then you'll get a screen similar to that the monkey see's - I found it very difficult to fill it in properly and a lot of the options don't cover the mods I have, no matter how basic.

Thankfully I'm getting a refund from Admiral - they are only charging me the 6 weeks they covered me. But still need to chase them.

I'm 28, had my license 8yrs with 6yrs no claims & clean license - it's as you say the people who you talk to have absolutely no idea what kind of cars they're insuring. Probably don't even know what a Supra looks like.

I called Hyperformance - spoke to one guy - sounded like a chav! They wanted £1,576 - when asked why - he said

"Aww - it's coz of yer turbo-timer mate! The HKS SSQ dun't 'elp 'either! Know wot I mean ? Tha Supra ain't exactly a standard high performance car is it ?"

"Riiiight. So, what cars do you cover ?"

"Y'know the usual. Porsches, Furwahrees."

"What was that ?"

"I said 'Fur..ra..rees'

Honestly, straight up....that's how the conversation went!

Muppet! :)

Originally posted by Supragaz

Don't know how old you are mate but if over 25, Frizzell (Royal Liverpool and Victoria) are the nuts. They didn't ask me what mods I had on my car and said they don't need to know. They were by far the cheapest insurance group by far. The quote I got closest to Frizzel was over £1000 more and I tried LOADS!! You are right about the department being full of monkeys, they all work for a car insurance firm but know nothing about the cars they are insuring.

was that through the CSMA?

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/vbb/images/smilies/rant.gif

When my insurance went up recently I asked why - I was told it was because I'd moved house.

OK I said, but I've moved to a nicer area, the car is garaged now and it's driven less miles because I'm nearer work.

Ah, said they, but we have had more claims from other people in that area so that puts the price up.

So because Harry and Hilda crashed a few times I have to pay for it, that's what *I* hate about insurance, it's so general - it should be a price based on your own circumstances, not those who live near you!

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/vbb/images/smilies/rant.gif

Top this then:

My mate had a CRX with standard brakes.

He changes the brakes so the car stops quicker, and tells his insurance company. His insurance goes up.

He later changes the brakes back to stock, and tells his insurance company. His insurance goes up again.

Same thing with insurance - their more than happy to take your money ... but when it comes to paying out that's when they dig their heels in.

I've yet to do business with an insurance company who doesn't deliberately muck you around when claiming.

I pray/beg/grovel that the Supra remains a car completely out of the price-bracket - insurance, fuel, maintenance etc of you're average baseball capped, addidas tracksuit out 19yo who's swapped his Veilside kitted out Saxo/Astra GTE for a Supra TT.

That I think would raise premiums!

Originally posted by Clarkey_Sparkey

I pray/beg/grovel that the Supra remains a car completely out of the price-bracket - insurance, fuel, maintenance etc of you're average baseball capped, addidas tracksuit out 19yo who's swapped his Veilside kitted out Saxo/Astra GTE for a Supra TT.

Look around, it's too late ;)

The higher prices of the Skyline seems to have held it out of reach of the Chavs, just look at the 300ZX and GTO, They're fairly cheap and I've seen Chavs in them, only a matter of time before the Supra falls into the Townie pit, they're only getting older unfortunately....

Only one thing to do then!!! all put the prices of your supras up when you come to sell them :p

I hope with the new insurance and the new import esva test coming around, it will make the supras and skylines in the country already a lot more sort after and therefor keep prices high (it is one of the best cars for 7k ish (n/a version), i mean what else could you get a new saxo :blink: