The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will a bpu j-spec tt auto pop and bang?

philsmith1a

My supra will be bpu in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if it will backfire? It is a j-spec tt auto with a 3“ with RR. All the cars I have had before with no cats have popped and banged on the overrun, I know the auto box won’t overrun on D but in theory it should in manual mode. Please enlighten me.

Hi mate, try and Explain your explanation a little better please.

Are you wanting your car to pop and bang?? or are you curoius to know if it will pop and bang?

Guys please try and not rub up the Noobs. Im starting to see alot of this, we all have to start somewhere? A little guidance is always good.

Hi mate, try and Explain your explanation a little better please.

Are you wanting your car to pop and bang?? or are you curoius to know if it will pop and bang?

Guys please try and not rub up the Noobs. Im starting to see alot of this, we all have to start somewhere? A little guidance is always good.

I agree.

What I can tell you Phil, is that I have only just BPUed mine and so far from the "pop and bang" point of view it doesnt. Mines an auto too. I would have thought most cars with electronically controlled fuelling cut fuel on the overun so this is something you wouldnt get.

It wont pop and bang or flame regularly due to the map sensor on Supras. The ECU doesnt massively overfuel on gearchanges like cars with maf sensors even with a vent to atmosphere BOV.

I asked this question many many years ago when I first bought a Supra and nobody slated me then.

The popping and banging happens on overrun (or 'coast down' as you might know it) due to unburnt fuel igniting in the hot exhaust manifolds.

This is avoided by the ECU by cutting the fuel injectors when the throttle is closed and the revs are above about 2500rpm. This is done for economy and emissions reasons, and also to protect the CATs as they do dislike this (temperatures or something, can't recall exactly).

You can really go to town by deliberately overfuelling and retarding the ignition timing a lot if you want, that'll give you spectacular explosions and even flame out the exhaust, I personally consider that going a bit too far, but the "burble with occasional blat" symphony you get with a normal overrun actually sounds quite nice to my ears :)

You can trigger this by keeping the throttle open everso slightly as you coast down, as this keeps the throttle position sensor off the "closed" switch, thus stopping the ECU from cutting the injectors. Takes a bit of practice but sounds great :innocent:

If the guy had come on here asking about flamer kits then yeah, descend away, but come on people - the question was ambiguous for a start, he might have been checking as he didn't want it to happen. And the overrun burble is a nice noise in my overinflated opinion as well, so it's still a valid question :p

Save your ire for those who deserve it...

.....but the "burble with occasional blat" symphony you get with a normal overrun actually sounds quite nice to my ears :)

You can trigger this by keeping the throttle open everso slightly as you coast down, as this keeps the throttle position sensor off the "closed" switch, thus stopping the ECU from cutting the injectors. Takes a bit of practice but sounds great :innocent:

Its quite easy to get this gorgeous 'burble with occasional blat' with the Tiptronic in manual mode. Guilty as charged...many a Dorset village with a slight hill has suffered since my Bpu. Not so obvious in auto mode.