The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suprastick

David P

Suprastick version 4.6

There has been curiosity from some re. this device, so now I have wired it in and started playing with it, I can tell more about it.

It is compatible with the N/A auto box, but not the T.T. (The T.T. box has more solenoids)

It has a 'manualised' function, a la 'flappy paddle' gear change.

To control this I have used a Supra tiptronic wheel, but any buttons or even a cruise control stalk will work.

The flappy paddle function is great fun to play with when not around town. :)

At the flick of a switch it returns to auto, this can be auto mapped from the OEM ECU signals.

However, I could not get this function to work, but as I plan to replace the OE ECU with a standalone AEM, it was only a matter of time, so I have written my first combi map controlled by throttle position.

1 -25% Around town low rev 'trundle' map.

26 -50% 'Eco' map.

51 -75% A 'getting on with the job' map.

76 - 100% A 'red liner' in all gears map.

There are many other adjustable parameters that I am working out by trial and test.

The only down side is, there is no engine braking when changing down from 3rd into 2nd, because the brake bands are manually controlled by the stick, but the up side is, I can install the AEM ECU with no concerns re. the trans or rolling road.

All in all, a lot of fun for £250.

There are links to more info in 'my car', (link below) and pics in the album in my profile.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Suprastick version 4.6

There has been curiosity from some re. this device, so now I have wired it in and started playing with it, I can tell more about it.

It is compatible with the N/A auto box, but not the T.T. (The T.T. box has more solenoids)

It has a 'manualised' function, a la 'flappy paddle' gear change.

To control this I have used a Supra tiptronic wheel, but any buttons or even a cruise control stalk will work.

The flappy paddle function is great fun to play with when not around town. :)

At the flick of a switch it returns to auto, this can be auto mapped from the OEM ECU signals.

However, I could not get this function to work, but as I plan to replace the OE ECU with a standalone AEM, it was only a matter of time, so I have written my first combi map controlled by throttle position.

1 -25% Around town low rev 'trundle' map.

26 -50% 'Eco' map.

51 -75% A 'getting on with the job' map.

76 - 100% A 'red liner' in all gears map.

There are many other adjustable parameters that I am working out by trial and test.

The only down side is, there is no engine braking when changing down from 3rd into 2nd, because the brake bands are manually controlled by the stick, but the up side is, I can install the AEM ECU with no concerns re. the trans or rolling road.

All in all, a lot of fun for £250.

There are links to more info in 'my car', (link below) and pics in the album in my profile.

Hey David,

Glad to see you got it working and well done as I know it wasn'nt easy. . Sounds though you are pleased wwith the results.

Look forward to a demo sometime.

Hello Shane,

The wiring instructions are very much, 'it will work if you can work it out'. ;)

Yet after my apprenticeship sorting out the active spoiler, cruise control and electric adjusting headlamps retrofits, I am getting dab hand with Supra electrickery. :)

But to be fair, Garrett Rowe has been very helpfull by email.

It appears this is the first time one of these has been fitted into a Supra Mk4, quite bizarre for a device called 'Suprastick V4'.

I will drop by and take you for a flappy blast, but be warned, you will want one too. :)

Hello Shane,

The wiring instructions are very much, 'it will work if you can work it out'. ;)

Yet after my apprenticeship sorting out the active spoiler, cruise control and electric adjusting headlamps retrofits, I am getting dab hand with Supra electickery. :)

But to be fair, Garrett Rowe has been very helpfull by email.

It appears this is the first time one of these has been fitted into a Mk4 Supra, quiet odd for a device called 'Suprastick V4'.

I will drop by and take you for a flappy blast, but be warned, you will want one too. :)

Ok look forward to it. Working in France Monday through to Thursday next week and then London as normal on Friday so won't be about. But look forward to a blast when I get back. Will give you a blast in the silver one and I reckon you might want one of them, be warned...:)

Got it almost there now mechanically, couple of little niggles to sort out but am getting there. Speak soon and well done, it's good to be a pioneer eh!

I am busy too, tomorrow I am taking the prop out to measure the gap, then only to put it back in again.

A job for nothing, but have been let down 3 times with the measurement, so there is no other way. :(

Then to do something positive, take out the cat that's not needed, finish wrapping the exhaust manifold and advance the timing up to 19oBTDC.

That should give it a smidgen more. :)

The adapter for the oil filter has eventually turned up, so I can get on with the relocation and oil cooler hook up this week.

I then want to start getting the water/meth system in and begin the HHO installation.

I am trying to get it finished and on the rollers, then will take it to the august meet.

Will come and play Supragames somewhere inbetween.

Parle' 'bonjour' a' Frogtopia pour moi. ;)

Hi Dave,

how did you connect up the flappy wheel?

When I looked at doing this I couldnt see hot to connect it so I ended up using the cruse control stalk.

The problem I found was there were not enough contact rings on the steering columb or did you replace those as well??

Cheers,

Andy

Andy,

I used a column loom from a J spec T.T. which has a 6 wire plug in the whirlygoround, and 2 more for the air bag making 8.

I don't have airbags, so;

1. Earth for horn

2. Cruise

3. Cruise

4. Cruise

5. Live in for tipronic buttons

6. Up control out

7. Down control out

8. Spare

Hope that helps.

Beast,

Cheers, that will go in when I change the front oil seal, but it won't be seen as I have remodelled another guard.

attachment.php?attachmentid=113497&d=1278885002

The project is coming on well now, have had the prop out and in, and now I have the measurement, it is ordered.

Tomorrow will get the oil filter relocation kit mounted and measure up for the hoses.

Once that is done I will begin the water/meth installation.

That only leaves the HHO, and then it can go on the rollers. :)

js800_engine_july_002.jpg

Spooky!

You just replied to my post before I sent it!

Obviously from the previous post. Timing was freaky though! :blink:

That guard is a bit 'unorthodox' isn't it? ;)

Looks great but really should have full enclosure, just incase, with Perspex or Lexan windows, (very thin and practically indestructible), as any contaminants will obviously wear the gears and belt and dust could/will get into the tensioner bearing etc. :)

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

That's an apt and 'spooky' word too.

The cam gears are made by 'Unorthodox' Racing. :)

Wanted to cover up the cam belt, yet leave the gears accessible.

Looks good too.

Unfortunately not that spooky, as I knew from reading your build specs. and reCOGnised them from their website! :D

Ooop's, and it was wrapped with inverted comma's too. :blush:

I really must wear my glasses whilst pressing buttons.

I will send you the trans upgrade kit when I get your address.

Ok, I'll email you David.

I was searching for a clear top timing cover myself but never found one. There was one company I think I saw in someone's build specs. somewhere but forgot who they were. Anyone? Think it was a Japanesey sounding name.

Could be a sideline one day if I can manage to make one, maybe vacformed 2mm Lexan. I bought a couple of VW Beetle RC Monster Truck shells off ebay from a bloke who makes them every now and then. He'll do it. ;)

Failing all that, I'll machine them from solid on my benchtop milling machine if I ever get round to converting it to CNC, then polish them up. Don't hold your breath though, eh! :D

• 5 years later...

Tony,

Excuse me for a slow reply, I have been flat out fighting with my spine disease for a few days.

The links in my signature will take you to a comprehensive "write up" in the Transmission Group and/or to the Latent Solutions installation wiring diagram via the Group or from the Transmission section in "my garage" and also, Suprastick install and Hybrid transmission install in my build threads.

I have tried by p.m. to answer a few of your questions, nevertheless, should all of the above writing and pretty pictures not convey it, I can't see the point of me writing it again?

At this juncture of confuddlement, the way forwards is to contact me and interrogate me by talking in old money and connect the dots that yet haven't.