The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good idea?

andyc666

Hi guys,

I still haven't bought a supra yet and it's quite depressing but what me and my work mate have decided to do is team up after work (we work in a garage btw ;) ) and get a uk spec supra shell and find the engine etc because uk spec supras are a bit too much for my pocket and the insurance company said it would be okay to do that.

Or secondly, sup up other cars and sell them for a higher prices for example, we've got a 3sgte mr2 engine that we bought for about £400 and a salvaged mr2 rev4 for about £500. Repair costs won't be too much and I've got an mr2 turbo gearbox sitting in the garage. Anyway mr2 rev4 turbos must go for at least £3500, baring in mind the car isn't a cat A,B,C or D just the engine was knocking.

So these are the only two ways I could get my UK spec supra :search:

What do you guys think? ;)

I honestly think stealing one would help you achieve your target goals in the shortest timeframe :D

More seriously, it the 3SGTE a rev3+ lump? I'm not too up on prices but do Rev4's really go for over £3500?

Also if you team up you'll be left with half a car each, that can't end well?

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

I've promised him my mr2 if I get my uk spec supra lol. Yeah it's a rev3 and yeah the rev4 and rev5 turbos go for quite a lot still [GRIN][/GRIN]

Also if I were to steal a uk spec supra I'd have to search for a long time, only have ever seen one in my life.

i'd sell all the parts you have, save up a bit longer and then buy a supra.

The only reason I'm putting the engine in the mr2 is because I found the parts relatively cheap and there's no charge for labour as it's all myself. It's just an investment for the car lol.

Anyone know of any other good engine swaps? [GRIN][/GRIN]

Any engine swap is a hell of a lot of work,

Hmmm if it's got the same engine mounts and its the same make of car it's a lot easier, but if you're trying to put a completely different engine in it's a hell of a lot of work yeah i agree lol

Is the difference worth the hassle of raising the extra funds to purchase a UK spec?

If you dont mind me asking, how old are you? There might be someone on here that could offer some decent insurance advice.

Personally, at 26, with all my mods declared, I find my j-spec very reasonable at £540 fully comp

Is the difference worth the hassle of raising the extra funds to purchase a UK spec?

If you dont mind me asking, how old are you? There might be someone on here that could offer some decent insurance advice.

Personally, at 26, with all my mods declared, I find my j-spec very reasonable at £540 fully comp

I'm 19 but I drive an mr2 turbo everything's declared on it and a uk spec supra is £80 more a year than my mr2 but if I get an import supra well the NA goes up by nearly £2000 and they won't touch me on imported turbo supras :(

The only reason I'm putting the engine in the mr2 is because I found the parts relatively cheap and there's no charge for labour as it's all myself. It's just an investment for the car lol.

Anyone know of any other good engine swaps?

Your business model fails at the first hurdle :) Not factoring in a "charge" for your own time is something completely wrong. You could (probably should, not wanting to sound like your dad...) be working on paying jobs, not trying to make fitting a good used engine into an MR2 sound a "free" exercise. You should cost the time fitting the engine just the same as you would if you were doing it for Joe Bloggs, and add that price to what you have effectively paid for the car. Or off the eventual profit if you succeed in selling it for a gain. My Jewish friends would have your trousers down in ten minutes :)

Anyway, lecture aside, you need a big reserve pot for running this Supra once you have it, or have built it. I am having to wonder if this has been accounted for? Even I sometimes wince when I give someone a bill for a big repair job, we live in expensive times ;) But of course, you work for free ;)

I'll get me coat....

Chris Wilson - Yeah I forgot to add in that I'll sell the mr2 for about £3500 because that;s what it's worth yet my expenses would be the engine and car which come to less than £1000, and my boss was extra nice and said I can use the workshop for as long as I like outside working hours. :) I've also though about running costs and I understand supra's are a hell of a lot to maintain but hopefully it will be slightly cheaper being a mechanic and I'm driving a pretty juice 3sgte engine at the moment (300 bhp approx). :)

Ahh I know lol but the mr2 is a bit impractical in terms of only having 2 seats :(

How many do you think the Supra has? Mine looks like it has four seats, but they dont work right unless the people being carried are workers in a mysterious chocolate factory.

Ever considered an Aristo if practicality is what tickles your todger?

How many do you think the Supra has? Mine looks like it has four seats, but they dont work right unless the people being carried are workers in a mysterious chocolate factory.

Ever considered an Aristo if practicality is what tickles your todger?

Yeah I suppose there's not that much more room...but I just love supras and always have favourite car in the world! :D