The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bent sills where cars been jacked up...

ManwithSupra

Had a full service on the Supra by Stuart at Toyoda Tech (awesome job done) although he mentioned that the sills under the car where the jacking points are have been bent back and are starting to rust !!

Now I have always jacked the car up on the sub frame and then supported it on axle stands (not where the sills are) so this must have been done before and I just have not noticed.

He said that the best thing to do is take it to a body shop to get these restraightened, shot blasted, treated, painted then under sealed. I am all for doing this properly (so don’t really care to much about the price as this is important) but how much am I looking at do you reckon just so I know what to budget for?

It would be for both sides of the car and the whole length of both sills.

Rich

Best way is to get two lengths of 3/8 thick steel plate about 6 inches long and 2 inches deep, drill them for three 3/8 unf bolts and use the bolts with nuts to clamp the plates onto the sill returns 6 inches at a time.Tightening the assembly and tapping the plates gently straightens and flattens the return edges, unless they are totally *uggered. This is one of my pet hates, so many cars are wrecked by jacking under chassis box sections (try that on a Skyline and they collapse into the floor pan) or sill returns. You may have to get the blasting done elsewhere from the paint. I would use Galvafroid paint on the bare clean metal, then a brush on top coat, as you won't see it. Galvafroid is VERY dear, but VERY good, I have pulled mild steel posts out of wet ground that have been there for 15 years and they were still perfect with two good coats of Galvafroid. NOT as good as real galvanising, but far behind!

A Machine Mart grit blaster pot will run off that if you are very patient and do a minute at a time allowing it to charge back up. I have used one to do small amounts of rust removal and it worked OK. Makes a bit of a mess, definitely do it outside!

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/sb3-gritblast-gun

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I just used a panel beating hammer and a flat block held against the other side, worked a treat, the bodyshop i did mine in had a shot blaster that had an end on it like a brush vaccum attachment which localised the shot

I will do a "How To" on here (as i am sure there are loads of people on here with bent sills) and after i have finished with the tool people can use it if they wish.

How about I bring my car down to you when you have practiced on yours and you do mine ;)

I will supply biscuits and support and maybe a little help too.

Im glad you have experience with this Chris as it was another one of the jobs i was going to speak yto you about when i bring my Supra to you for her service. :)

I don't touch bodywork at all. I don't mind messing about straightening sills on a car I own, but I don't touch other peoples bodies, IYSWIM ? ;)