The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wrong paint for calipers?

Lude

got hamerite yesterday,

realized its "hammered" finish tho? not smooth?

will this look crap? or not noticable difference

(whatever the diff is, imagine looks patterend or something?)

also is it easy to paint them whilst they are still on? or is it much easier to remove them 1st

Not sure what the hammered finish will be like, i would imagine its more of a cracked paint look than a nice smooth finish, just take it back and get some proper Caliper paint. The proper stuff is meant to cope with high temp and the finish and colour will be far greater.

ok thanks.

il give it a go on 1 of them, if it looks bad il just do em again.

remove them to do? or isit managable to do with them on?

PS scott spent a while on your website other day :)

It can be done in situe, and will look ok, but it won't be a complete job. I took mine off to do them but I was refubrishing them anyway.

Realy? Ive read on other car forums that hammerite can smoke and bubble if you do to much hard breaking. Ive always used high temp caliper paint and never had an issue.

I've never had any issues with hammerite. I've seen my brakes smoking and the paint is still fine. I tried caliper paint a few years back, it was murder to apply as it ran like water. The colour went pink(ish) very very quickly also. The paint did stay on for the year and a half I had the car though.

I've never had any issues with hammerite. I've seen my brakes smoking and the paint is still fine. I tried caliper paint a few years back, it was murder to apply as it ran like water. The colour went pink(ish) very very quickly also. The paint did stay on for the year and a half I had the car though.

Thats fair enough then, I just always thought that hammerite was never as good as people claim it is. But if you've used it and had no issues then i guess its fine to use.

I'm not actually holding out too much hope for mine as I did it with the hammerite spray rather than the tin. It was murder to apply lol. I always recommend the tin to people as I have used it many times in the past and it has been great, I hoped the spray would be easier. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Saying that, it has been completely fine so fingers crossed :)