The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rocket Boosters

JohnK

I just watched a program about exploding myths, on this episode they were trying to recreate the chevy impala with jet assisted take off boosters on the back.

The got an old chevy but noone would supply them with JATO's so they used hobby rocket motors which were more powerful than JATO's!!!

Now it didnt take off like in the urban legend but it did go like a bastard! While they were discussing the project, out came this little nugget of info:

1lb of thrust = 2 HP

How true that is I dont know, but it would sure help a launch at pod! They had 3 of the rocket motors fired sequentially to give 12 seconds of thrust. It pushed the ocean liner of a car from a rolling start upto ~150mph in that time.

So the questions are, where can we get these "hobby" rocket motors?

Who is going to design and build a frame for under the car?

And will any drag strip in the land allow it?

:D ;)

Originally posted by paul_y3k

i saw it too.... notice they used the suspension to point the car at the ground .. thats why it didn't take off.

and pod allows the jet force cars to run so i dont see why not heheheh

they let the jet force cars run but they dont let them race :(

I'd recommend a totally foolproof and 100% reliable method of turning them off though if for some reason you want to abort the run. And they would need to be damn well secured to the car. Can you imagine having a crash and one coming loose and zooting off into the crowd?

Avoid :(

Originally posted by JohnK

You cant stop a rocket!

Once you have fired it you have no choice but to hold on.

mild edit to John's post :

You can't stop a solid-fuel rocket.

- you can stop a liquid-propellant rocket by just switching off fuel-feed.

I'd imagine the rockets you can buy off-the-shelf will be Solid-fuel so yeah that's a one-shot thing.

That's why on the Shuttle, NASA gets the main liquid-fuel engine all lit and ready to go, and at the last moment, they fire the SRB's (Solid Rocket Boosters) as if they need to abort take-off they can, as long as the SRB's aren't lit....