another newbie with problems

Guest joff16v

Guest joff16v

hi all,

well ive recently purchased my first supra

its orignally a na but has had a turbo conversion

i bought it cheap needing a new clutch and a load of other bits doing

but on the way home from picking it up yday it started overheating,

i opened bonnet to see whats going on and the overflow tank was full, i didnt want to drive it so i rang the aa, he came out and checked a few things, said top and bottom hoses are the same temp, and you can see water moving around in the rad when you rev it, so that ruled out water pump and thermostat,

he then did a pump test thing to see if the HG was gone, and that was all fine,

we then proceeded to drive a little bit further, and i kept below 60mph, the temp stayed at halfway for a while then started creeping up slowing, the faster i got the faster the temp needle moved, we got around 40 miles before it got just below the red

just wondering if anyone has any ideas? could it be clogged radiator? ive heard storys of front mount intercoolers blocking the rads flow? how can i cure this?

any help would be greatly appreciated, i didnt expect to get such big headaches so soon into supra ownership

thanks

hi all,

well ive recently purchased my first supra

its orignally a na but has had a turbo conversion

i bought it cheap needing a new clutch and a load of other bits doing

but on the way home from picking it up yday it started overheating,

i opened bonnet to see whats going on and the overflow tank was full, i didnt want to drive it so i rang the aa, he came out and checked a few things, said top and bottom hoses are the same temp, and you can see water moving around in the rad when you rev it, so that ruled out water pump and thermostat,

he then did a pump test thing to see if the HG was gone, and that was all fine,

we then proceeded to drive a little bit further, and i kept below 60mph, the temp stayed at halfway for a while then started creeping up slowing, the faster i got the faster the temp needle moved, we got around 40 miles before it got just below the red

just wondering if anyone has any ideas? could it be clogged radiator? ive heard storys of front mount intercoolers blocking the rads flow? how can i cure this?

any help would be greatly appreciated, i didnt expect to get such big headaches so soon into supra ownership

thanks

Sounds like it has an airlock somewhere in the coolant system to me.Common problem,do some searches on here about it.

Guest joff16v

No coolant being lost, just the overflow bottle fills up, the heaters do chuck out hot air

who is keiron? Does he own a garage or he a tweaker with lots of know how lol?

I had the same problem mate on my tt6

Replaced the rad cap and it didnt fix the problem but the best way to start as its a 15quid fix.

I replaced the radiator with a stock rad and that done the business. MY old rad wasnt leaking and was perfectly fine without the FMIC.

So i'd put my money on cap or new stock radiator and it'll be done.

Rad's a piece of piss to change also :)

Guest joff16v

Did yours only start overheating when u had fmic? I'm just worried that the fmic is blocking air flow,

if I drive slowish it seems ok, when I really boot it it wiill get hot! Any reasons for this?

Did yours only start overheating when u had fmic? I'm just worried that the fmic is blocking air flow,

if I drive slowish it seems ok, when I really boot it it wiill get hot! Any reasons for this?

Could just be because thats when you are putting the most load on it. Try the new cap and clearing any air locks first as they should not cost you to much to. Then see how she runs.

That's exactly what was happening, fine around town but over 60 it was heating up. I replaced the rad and cap and problem was sorted.

Still have the fmic and no issues now. When I researched it it turns out that the stock rad works even when slightly faulty, so when you restrict flow by adding the fmic the problem is amplified. Most cases it's the rad cap that's faulty but in my case it was the rad itself

The FMIC is not the problem, yes it blocks the airflow to the rad, but if the cooling system is working properly not to the extent it would cause it to boil over.

As already suggested, first thing to try is fit a new rad cap, make sure the area on the radiator the rad cap seals against is clean and free of rust/crud.

another one for a blocked rad.

I had exactly the same issue. I checked everything! I too could see the flow through the rad etc etc and by the time I had everything replaced the only thing left was the rad.

Sent it off to a local chap to have it flow tested and it turned out to be 65% blocked!

that would be my first port of call.

Possible reasons for overheating

1. An airlock in the system stopping the coolant from circulating.

2. Leaking radiator cap depressuring the system and causing the coolant to boil over at a lower temperature.

3. Stuck thermostat blocking coolant flow.

4. Blocked radiator.

5. Knackered water pump (though you say the water is circulating so can discount this).

6. Blown headgasket.

Guest joff16v

Thanks for all the help everyone,

have had it in bits today and changed the cap, flushed the rad, bled it of any airlocks and it's still the same! I'm gona try getting a new rad tomoz and see how it goes!

I don't think it will be a conversion keiron has done as it really has been thrown together lol!

Once I get this overheating sorted I can move onto the clutch, then setting it up properly, then sorting some crash damage out, then respray it, then some new brakes and wheels lol the list goes on