The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auxillary belt split in half

Cerikbok

Went to pick my car up from the bodyshop today and it has not been driven in over 3 months other than the little bit of moving they did with it. Noticed a squeak which I assumed was one of the belts, but it was minor so I went about my way. I got no further than 200m down the road when I heard this god awful screeching and smelled something burning. Popped the bonnet to see the auxillary belt had split in half. Can I expect any damage to major components from this? Never had it happen before.

Also with the smoke, it was coming from the rear of the engine block, white smoke it smelled alot like oil burning off. Being that the car has not been driven and I have a suspected oil leak do you suppose that is simply the case or there could have been some major damage to the engine from the belt splitting. Any help would be appreciated.

Very unlikely to cause any damage, only real concern could be water pump really, but if you shut off straight away it's unlikly to have seen any high water temps.

Have you checked all pulleys turn easily since? Do any pulleys have any chunks out of the grooves which could have cuased the split. I'd be trying to track down why the belt split. Have they had the aux belt off?

Thanks alot guys, I am pretty sure the aux belt has never been changed before and it was near it's 100k km change time. Also one of the pulleys was knackered which is where the screeching came from. I shut it off straight away so hopefully it all pans out, supposed to have it fixed tomrrow so I can make it to Japshow *fingers crossed*

mate please dont take this the wrong way but for a belt to go like this indicates some serious neglect you need to think about some proper servicing, less time in the body shop more time looking after the basics or the next thing to go could be way more expensive

mate please dont take this the wrong way but for a belt to go like this indicates some serious neglect you need to think about some proper servicing, less time in the body shop more time looking after the basics or the next thing to go could be way more expensive

Well when I purchased the car some 20k km ago I was assured that both the belts had been changed so I was not worried about it, guess I just can't take people at there word, I have had the car serviced regularly when I am about, bear in mind I have been in Iraq for a year though with my wife driving it, could barely get her to pick up stuff from the post let alone get the car serviced. >

Edited by Cerikbok (see edit history)