The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car colour

MizTheWiz

Originally posted by MizTheWiz

Is it just me or does my car look diff. shades of red lol.:eek:

A lot of supras seem to have diffrent colour bumpers. I'm not sure if it is something to do with an additive put in the paint to make it flex? Or maybe because replacement bumpers come pre-painted from Japan? So any paint fade will look worse.

I thought the same with my front bumper, it does look a different shade to the bonnet when you look at the front of the car.

But if you stand next to one of the doors and compare the top of the bumper where it joins the bonnet they do look the same shade.

Its a different paint and primer on plastic AFAIK but plastic components suffer more from sun/light fade than metal painted objects. It is especially noticeable on reds. The laquer on door handles gets scuffed by constant rubbing by hands rings etc so they can fade very badly. My drivers handle is almost pink!!

Guest Rays the roof

Three different effects:

Older cars use iron oxide as a pigment in red and other colours. This reacts with oxygen (oxidation) causing the red to fade. Modern cars have laquers to inhibit this.

Red absorbs UV light well which fades (bleaches) it.

Some plasticisers (which improve flexibility of paint and plastic) contain chemicals with free radicals that absorb UV energy and turn yellow (like epoxy's).

Y'all still awake......?

HeeHee thanks guys for the replys.

I never noticed it until i looked at the pics. Think i will leave as is for now but ill be prepared for a respray in the future.

Just happy that its not ben resprayed becouse of damage i was not aware off.

never mind its hard to notice at 100+ :p

Miz:)