The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox Conversion Questions

Andrew K

I currently have an auto N/A and the gearbox is playing up and getting on my nerves. Im wanting to put a 6 speed box in which I already have. I have a few questions I would like to ask about the best way of doing some of the things and if there could be potential problems with any of the parts I plan to use:-

1. Is there a difference between a 6 speed N/A flywheel to a twin turbo flywheel?

2. Will it be best to leave my N/A diff in rather than swap it over to the twin turbo diff?

3. Depending on the answer to number 2 is the propshaft the same for a 6 speed N/A to a twin turbo?

4. With my conversion parts I have a manual ECU, is it just a case of unplugging the auto one and plugging in the manual one and away you go?

Thats all I can think of for now, off the top of my head!

Any answers will be greatly received :)

Cheers

Are you planning on fitting a 6spd from an NA or a TT? I.e. v160 or v161?

1) Pretty sure they are different

2) Difficult one to explain as there are so many different diff types.

The NA 6spd comes with the "small casing" LSD diff from the TT auto, this is an ideal choice if you retain the NA engine

The TT 6spd (early model) came with a large casing LSD diff which has a different prop and a shorter drive shaft on one side.

3) Depends on the source of the diff. All diffs will require a different prop. I.e. large casing/small casing. NA/TT. If TT, v161 or v160...

4) You can use your auto ECU, but can simply swap the NA auto one for an NA 5spd one if needed. They are plug and play (though a few wiring changes are needed on the auto gear loom, nothing complex)

Thanks Homer

When i bought my 6 speed conversion parts they were from a TT, but the diff i got with it is in the pic below.

[img]http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv257/Kingy_05/RearDiff001.jpg[/img]

Can you tell from the pic if i might have a V160 or a V161 box by any chance?

Is the auto TT diff that the 6 speed N/A's use the same size as the one i have above by any chance? cause im hoping i can use the prop that came with my conversion parts!