The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is IT worth it????

Bailey.

Is it worth all the blood sweat and tears to go from bpu to single??I've done it once before with my old rx7 it was a ball ake but the hp increase is alot different, ie streetported rx7 at bpu made 380 and once singled made 450hp, in comparison of a tt bpu around 400 and going single around 525-50!!

I said I would never do it again after the huge money loss and really never running right!!!

Just really want to know anyone who wished they never made the step to single and wished they had stayed at bpu, and been better off? Would also like the views of people who wouldn't dream of looking back!!!

Also I have a real issue where once I've decided what I want to do, I want it done yesterday, did most of you gradually by the bits and get them all fitted at once or gradually???

If you are prepared to spend a LOT of money to do the job properly with no corners cut, then yes it is worth it.

If you are doing it on a tight budget, then no I would definitely not recommend it. I would spend the money instead on getting the best performance and handling out of your BPU setup.

All I can say is I wish I had bought a supra 3 years ago when I bought the Rex, would have been a totally different story, the single coversion on the Rex was £7.5k, but I'm so much more mechanically minded now and have two very good mechanics as best buds!!!

I hate even talkin about my rx7!!!! Grrrrr

The trouble is that on here you'll find the ones with good builds or who are sticking at cars with potential...........the disillusioned ones or ones who have had to sell their pot they used to piss in are long gone :)

its easy for me as I haven't got the funds (and truth be told the power hungryness) to even contemplate it but i'll give you the fatherly type of advice of proceed with caution!

If I'm true I think I may try ttc this weekend as although I really like the squential setup, fancy a little change, how will ttc change the drivability of the car, lag etc??

Been covered before, but TTC makes both turbos come online together at around 3600RPM(ish). It's a bit louder than stock, and similar to driving any other non-sequential turbocharged car.

I loved it, and it prepared me well for learning the car with a single turbo. Other people don't like it, but I've found most with that point of view didn't get the fuelling tweaked to suit.

IMHO it's essential you have a way of adjusting the fuel if you want to go TTC.

I just went from TTC back to Sequential after about 6 months on it and I far prefer the Sequential operation.

Previously I had some issues, that I didn't know about to be fair, with regards to boost so I wasn't getting the potential out of them in sequential mode.

In TTC there is no boost, no torque or power in comparison, until 3400rpm. It gets going around then and is pulling strong by 3800-4000k. In sequential I am seeing boost at 2200rpm and it is pulling strong by 2800rpm at 1bar, at 3400 there is a dip in boost but by 3800 the boost is up to 1.1bar and pulling like a train.

To me, it feels like I am missing out on the low boost without any gains further up. The transition between tubbys is smooth for me, I have no idea why.

Previously I was only seeing 0.6bar on the first turbo and could barely feel it. Boost was dropping off around 3500 and not coming back in till 4200rpm and when it did it came in with a bang and didn't feel great. All I did was change a VSV :blink:

So for ttc is a remap essential, I've seen some threads about the ecu taking a few miles to learn, is this true or a myth! Also I should mention I have a blitz ecu, does this change things???

Yes the ECU takes a few miles to relearn after being reset, but the stock ECU is mapped for the sequential setup, it cannot adapt to a TTC setup.

I personally wouldn't consider the TTC setup without either a piggyback or standalone ECU mapped to suit.

What is the full spec of your car?

Yes the ECU takes a few miles to relearn after being reset, but the stock ECU is mapped for the sequential setup, it cannot adapt to a TTC setup.

I personally wouldn't consider the TTC setup without either a piggyback or standalone ECU mapped to suit.

What is the full spec of your car?

Im running a standard ECU with a HKS defencer, and I dont have any problems running ttc, it did take some miles to relearn as mentioned, but what is it about the ECU that doesnt fully adapt?

(I have eTTC, much more fun :cool:

If you are prepared to spend a LOT of money to do the job properly with no corners cut, then yes it is worth it.

Agree with Nic here - when done properly without cutting corners it transforms the car.

best to buy one that's been done and proven for a year or two (any issues would have surfaced by then) - like mine :)

Im running a standard ECU with a HKS defencer, and I dont have any problems running ttc, it did take some miles to relearn as mentioned, but what is it about the ECU that doesnt fully adapt?

Yes it will seem to run fine on the stock ECU, but the timing and fueling are mapped for the sequential setup.

Have you checked the AFR's? The fueling will go lean at the transition point where turbo 2 is normally coming online and there is a real danger of detonation.

I had a BPU auto UK spec, which was taken about as far as you can go with BPU (1.4 bar boost on UK turbos, cams, emanage etc) and I wanted to go to the next level.

Although I did love that car, it made no financial sense to me to spend £18k plus (although I appreciate many singles don't cost this much - but it was a high spec) on my Supra, and it still be an auto.

I spoke to Jurgen, who found me my perfect car for less than the conversion on my old one. The single conversion had obviously been carried out to an extremely high standard, as my only problem with the car in over 18 months was a minor split in a water hose. It did 30+ mpg on a run too :)

Alas, no more :(

I dont think it's just a question of cost of conversion to Single, its also the added cost keeping an old car on the Road ,brakes , suspension, electrics, and on and on.

If people expect £2-3000 a year on repairs,high fuel cost,they would not be far out, the problem is people don't.

Conversion to a single is only a starting point of costs not the end point

"worth" is a mute point, is a new mid range car worth £20-£25 k?

Yes it will seem to run fine on the stock ECU, but the timing and fueling are mapped for the sequential setup.

Have you checked the AFR's? The fueling will go lean at the transition point where turbo 2 is normally coming online and there is a real danger of detonation.

Ill give that one a check! TY!

I think that if you have to consider the financial commitment to this much detail you shouldn't do it.

It's diffidently a luxury to undergo a project of this magnitude! I personally would concentrate in making more money and till you can confidently start the project enjoy your BPU Supra ' do some spirited driving on country roads, there it does not matter if you have 300bhp or 600bhp it's the guy behind the wheel that influences the performance'.

Good Luck

I had a BPU auto UK spec, which was taken about as far as you can go with BPU (1.4 bar boost on UK turbos, cams, emanage etc) and I wanted to go to the next level.

Although I did love that car, it made no financial sense to me to spend £18k plus (although I appreciate many singles don't cost this much - but it was a high spec) on my Supra, and it still be an auto.

I spoke to Jurgen, who found me my perfect car for less than the conversion on my old one. The single conversion had obviously been carried out to an extremely high standard, as my only problem with the car in over 18 months was a minor split in a water hose. It did 30+ mpg on a run too :)

Alas, no more :(

so singles can be reliable:)