The mkiv Supra Owners Club

talking to my local jap car importer

Guest gothy

Guest gothy

I went to my local japanese car importer today, and had a quick chat with the salesman.

I said I was after a N/A supra mainly because of insurance costs.

He said "we dont normally stock those as most people want the TT, but if you get a later model 98 'SZ R' its got VVTi and drives more like the TT."

Really? theres quite a jump in power output I thought.

Luckily he said they can order me one for 7 weeks time in the spec I want :D, Manual/ aerotop/ low mileage/ service history/ no bodykit lol ;)

I've gotta go back and discuss spec and prices with him another day, might work out cheaper to find one already over here instead?

They've got a TT in stock pic :innocent: (but the paint finish isnt all that, with an auto box, pink decals, and something wrong with the lights)

He said "we dont normally stock those as most people want the TT, but if you get a later model 98 'SZ R' its got VVTi and drives more like the TT."

I suggest you test drive an NA first, and a TT for that matter, before parting with any cash or making a commitment to the importer.

Unless you have exceptional circumstances are you sure you can't afford the insurance for a TT?

I said I was after a N/A supra mainly because of insurance costs.

The guy either doesn't know what he's talking about or is giving you some sales crap. There was never a J-spec NA VVTi Supra and even if there was it would not drive like a TT.

There must be loads of NA's up for sale in the UK, if you want to import one then contact Jurgen.

Having not dealt with him before, i cant vouch for his work... but by going on what i have heard and seen on this forum, as stated above. Jurgen is the man you want to be seeing :)

Ask him and i doubt very much you will find any better person to deal with .

good luck with the hunt ;)

Have you checked the insurance costs for a TT? When I've done quotes there is next to no difference in price, at most, £60. Looking at the price of his cars you may even be able to pick up a decent TT from a member for what he would charge you on a NA.

Just make sure you have a rough idea of the market value of the cars first before you commit to anything and also, speak to Jurgen if you need any info about importing one.

You really need to pay your membership and spend some time on this site. Your guy at the importers is full of shite......;)

He's got a Veilside TT auto up for 10K.......:D

If you hang around there will be some decent cars coming up towards the end of summer (mine is one of them....:D)

H.

Looks like SVA imports in Dover, personally I would avoid buying any car from them. I have heard a few stories about this place and the owner to be honest. (cant really say on a public forum)

I went there a few years ago, was looking at px my uk Celica for a GT4. The guy was rude, couldnt be bothered attitude, priced up my car from just a glance, didnt really know what he was talking about.

A friend of mine bought a GT4 from them about a year ago. All sorts of engine problems starting going wrong just after buying it. Turbo, seals etc, they didnt really want to know after it had left the garage, it took him quite awhile to get them to fix it.

Personally I would use one of the importer guys on here to find you a Supra, but thats just my opinion :)

Edited by Wyntersun (see edit history)

At this point I would be VERY worried, so he can get you a VVTI NA??

There was never a J-spec NA VVTi Supra and even if there was it would not drive like a TT.

Really?

The spec guide says the facelift import SZ, SZ-R and SZ-R Aerotop are all VVTi.

He might have trouble finding a manual aerotop though.

10k i would be looking for a mint low miles black 6sp manual TT or a single, crazy money but good on him if he gets that for it!

Speak to Jurgen as already suggested, only ever heard good things about him and he is a good guy.

The guide is wrong, only the US got a 2JZ-GE VVTi Supra.

Whatever the source of the VVTi NA, it certainly didn't bump it up to TT power levels. Peak power increased by a whopping 5bhp if I recall correctly. Sales bull. Avoid.

Guest gothy

Thanks for all the replys guy's :D

Yeah its SVA imports.

A friend bought a starlett glanza V from there a while back and the turbo was on its way out when he got it, and aparantly they had listed mod's that wern't on the car after a mate with a garage checked over it. - But this is just what I've already been told.

yep that TT is well overpriced for what it is, thats why I wasn't interested in that one. (I've seen manual supra's on here go for that with a tonne of mods).

Cheers for the offer Raven :D is your car blue?

I'll have to check Jurgens website out too. - Edit just checked it out, if I decide to import and not get one already here you will be the first to get my business ;)

To be honest no I havn't got a quote on a JAP supra both NA, and TT. Just on a UK TT supra online so I havn't gotta ring up.

Edited by gothy (see edit history)