The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how long to do a single conv (1 for the traders)

hodge

Hi Guys.

Just curiosity really.

from start to finish how long would you say a single build would take to do to achieve 800-1000hp including strip down.

Not taking into account the engine rebuild.

single turbo kit

aftermarket plenum

fabricating IC pipes

Full fuel system

gauges

relocating stuff to accomodate the plenum n TB

etc etc etc

Also along the lines of labour charge, I understand that every build is individual but does anyone have a ball park figure on the cost in labour for a such a huge build as this.

Thanks guys.

John

The engine/turbo is the easy part its the other things that need to gell together to make a decent car, Titan have had the ex Green with Envy car for over a year and that went over as a supposed 1000hp car and its still not finished. The waiting for parts from the states is a problem too.

It all depends how long your working on it per day.

Some cars require more fabrication and messing around to get things to fit.

You can't always charge for the whole amount if time your spending on the car either.

For a spec like that from scratch I would allow a couple of months at least and go from there.

Waiting for parts is deffinatly the worst bit, really holds it up. You go to do something and realise you need an extra part and it can add a week to the build. Frustrating!

Jamie's engine build was a bit different as everything was already in place and I had done all the work on the car previous. :)

Edited by Lee P (see edit history)

i was thinking somewhere along the lines of a couple of months, working an 8hr day, monday to friday, as everything needs done from scratch, fueling, turbo and aftermarket plenum etc, etc. Intercooler pipes need fabricating, so does exhaust, plenum needs modding underneath for iacv.

That seems like an aweful lot to me. The couple of months would surely involve a lot of non-working? 8hr days for 2 months would be astronomical in costs.

I would expect 1-1.5k to fit a single depending on the labour charge.

As a complete amature I stripped my block right back to remove the tubby's and the manifold. Took me less than 8 hours to do that. In fact I did the Intake in about an hour. I put it back together in even less time. Surely bolting a single on wouldn't take as long as the twins?

As long as all the parts were there I would expect just over a weeks worth of actual labour on the car for what you have listed, with the rest of the time waiting on parts.

Clutch - 6hrs?

Tubby install (inc downpipe & Wastegate) - Shift?

Manifold Install Fuel Rail & Injector install, Pumps etc - Shift?

Battery relocation & fuse box relocation - Half a shift?

Intercooler Install - Shift

ECU, Gauges and other knick knacks - Shift

Mapping - Shift

Obviously I will have missed out some things but the times I have quoted are the times I think it would take me to do each task... being a novice but handy with a spanner.

That seems like an aweful lot to me. The couple of months would surely involve a lot of non-working? 8hr days for 2 months would be astronomical in costs.

I would expect 1-1.5k to fit a single depending on the labour charge.

As a complete amature I stripped my block right back to remove the tubby's and the manifold. Took me less than 8 hours to do that. In fact I did the Intake in about an hour. I put it back together in even less time. Surely bolting a single on wouldn't take as long as the twins?

As long as all the parts were there I would expect just over a weeks worth of actual labour on the car for what you have listed, with the rest of the time waiting on parts.

Clutch - 6hrs?

Tubby install (inc downpipe & Wastegate) - Shift?

Manifold Install Fuel Rail & Injector install, Pumps etc - Shift?

Battery relocation & fuse box relocation - Half a shift?

Intercooler Install - Shift

ECU, Gauges and other knick knacks - Shift

Mapping - Shift

Obviously I will have missed out some things but the times I have quoted are the times I think it would take me to do each task... being a novice but handy with a spanner.

If you want to run 800-1000 reliable bhp you'll need to change the internals as well, time consuming work splitting and re-building the engine.