The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost gauge insurance

ardasaliah

After hearing about the probs some of the members are having with insurance companies it occurred to me that the boost gauge installed on my car was not declared. I rang the insurance company (admiral) to let them know about it. The reply was ''that is something we cannot insure as it increases the boost of the car''

Obviously doesn't know what his talking about!!

I began to explain that it’s to monitor the boost to check all is healthy etc but he was having none of it. Basically refused to list it on the policy.

What do I do?

1) Remove it

2) Or if something does happen just rip the thing out?

What do you think?

Cheers guys,

I did call back hoping to get someone different-

They said send a fax in with as much detail as to what the exact modification is. Hopefully they will accept this.

Any ideas on how to word the fax as to make it as insurance friendly as possible! Maybe include something like

Toyota recommended a boost gauge to monitor turbo condition etc etc?

Any thoughts will be appreciated

I think I maybe in the same boat!

Got a Blitz Auto Turbo Timer, HKS SSQ BOV, OZ Alloys, Front Grill Mesh - & Oil Pressure & Boost Gauge.

Admiral said ... "Oh deary deary me! That's one for the underwriters we think. Additional Performance ?"

The fact that a turbo timer is a device to keep your TT's tiptop, the BOV just makes a noise when lift off & the gauges are pure monitoring instruments for the interior ... they were having none of it.

Ohhh! Pen-Pushing Muppets - the lot of them. I think I must've spoken to Kermit the Frog or Miss Piggy on the phone!

Give them a call tomorrow .. and hopefully speak to someone who can speak "Car"

I had the same thing with Admiral with my MR2 when I wanted to fit a boost gauge. Bearing in mind that its already got the crap Toyota one fitted, they referred it to the underwriters who refused to quote on it :banghead:

You just can't win :(

Elephant (the same company) seem to a bit more reasonable about mods, now how does that work?

I'd stop dealing with them by phone if they are going to swear black is white when talking about mods. They may as well add a lump on your premium because you fit different mats inside the car.

Get a name and address and fax number from them either for the underwriters or for their own complaints department and start to leave a paper trail. If they are going to adjust their premiums based on mods they have an obligation to you to base that on accurate information and not just a "ooh that sounds like it will make the car faster - lets' charger him more".

Just had a call from Admiral:

They've said No to:

Turbo Timer .... Underwriters have said it's too risky for theft because it makes the car look more nickable! What are they on ??

HKS SSQ BOV ... The Sound will attract thieves. What nonsense!! The car itself attracts thieves! My BOV is quiet because I'm running standard boost

Oil Pressure & Boost Gauge ... Definitely NOT! Gives the appearance of the car being used for racing and will attract police, thieves the usual.

Damn! These ppl are soooo irritating! :angry:

What's the point in covering a Supra - a supercar - if they say No, No, No ... to the essential little mods - like Turbo Timer.

In conclusion guys - Admiral is so unreasonable.

Save yourselfs some grief & Look else where. I emailed them and told them all the mods, told them why & what exactly the mods do.

They are going to take that back to the underwriters ... and if the pen-pushing monkey muppets still come up with silly excuses ... I'll get a refund and go elsewhere.

Ah!!! Sorry guys, just having a moan. Feel better now.

Originally posted by Clarkey_Sparkey

Oil Pressure & Boost Gauge ... Definitely NOT! Gives the appearance of the car being used for racing and will attract police, thieves the usual.

Since when has "attracting the police" been an insurance issue? :conf:

I tried to explain what a BOV was and thought all was sorted (it didn't really fit into any of their std modification groupings however).

When they sent through the documentation a few days later it was noted down as an LPG conversion.

LOL, I just called them up and said forget about it.