The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would you run a turbo blanket?

jevansio

Right, I have gone through 2 GT4088Rs with damaged turbine wheels, not sure if EGTs or foreign objects (parts of old manifold) were to blame.

Anyway on my new setup HKS manifold & 6765 I have tried my best to reduce EGTs to be safe.

Anyway last weekend I got a turbo blanket from Hodge to try & reduce under bonnet temps. I have my EGT probe in the turbo itself. It showed temp increases of maybe 25 - 50 deg.

Obviously if I had my probe in the manifold I'd be totally un aware of this. These temps are now around 950c.

Question is would you remove the blanket & forget under bonnet temps to reduce the in turbo temps, or keep the blanket assuming the turbine can handle these temps.

I would be more worried about why you are seeing such high temps, with your probe in the turbo you will see higher the further back toward the head you go. I have an alarm set if my probe runner 6 sees 900. I run higher compression and don't see higher than low 800's. I would be worried that I was running it right on the edge of destruction, with turbo temps that high.

I would be more worried about why you are seeing such high temps, with your probe in the turbo you will see higher the further back toward the head you go. I have an alarm set if my probe runner 6 sees 900. I run higher compression and don't see higher than low 800's. I would be worried that I was running it right on the edge of destruction, with turbo temps that high.

But is it not true that in the turbo you get a constant stream of all 6 runners which heat up further due to them coming together into a restriction, where as in the runner it's an interrupted flow. Exactly how much temp can a gas drop by in the length of a runner?

Has anyone actually put a probe in the runner & the turbo to measure this drop?

Ryan always told me the in turbo temps would be higher than the manifold?

I am actually dumbfounded that you see 800 on WOT 6th gear pulls, my map is pretty rich (under 11.5 @ WOT), I have gone full 4" turbo back exhaust with screamer, I just don't know what I could do to get my EGTs down to 800 on WOT 6th gear 5000+ rpm

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

950c in the turbo is too much IMO Jey, i know i have said this before but look into changing the exhaust cam timing as it has a big impact on EGTs, and i would just make up a SS heat shield for the turbo, worked very well on mine.

I will also ask Willem what EGTs my old supra is running now it been remapped and let you know, as you know its running the same turbo, but with std cams and the exhaust cam advanced quite a bit,which i am convinced is why i never saw high EGTs IE around 800c, and it makes VERY impressive torque.

I've been running a GT40 turbo with the exhaust housing ceramic coated and also running a turbo blanket with no problems... upto now! Although has probably only covered 8-9k miles.

How many miles roughly are you getting out the 4088's? Ive heard rumours about there being problems with the castings of some GT40's "corroding" causing failures?

Are they genuine Garret turbo's?

IMO you want to keep as much heat as possible inside the exhaust/turbo, wasted heat is wasted energy.

High EGT's could possibly be cam timing as mentioned.

Isnt this the issue?

Yes apparently the Garrett housings are intended for diesel engine use and will warp/melt when subjected to petrol combustion temps, however having said that i think Jay has had trouble with a precession housing to?which are intended for the correct fuel, never had a problem with mine but i never had high temps.

There are a couple of threads on the subject knocking about.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

Guest niteryder
But is it not true that in the turbo you get a constant stream of all 6 runners which heat up further due to them coming together into a restriction, where as in the runner it's an interrupted flow. Exactly how much temp can a gas drop by in the length of a runner?

Has anyone actually put a probe in the runner & the turbo to measure this drop?

Ryan always told me the in turbo temps would be higher than the manifold?

I am actually dumbfounded that you see 800 on WOT 6th gear pulls, my map is pretty rich (under 11.5 @ WOT), I have gone full 4" turbo back exhaust with screamer, I just don't know what I could do to get my EGTs down to 800 on WOT 6th gear 5000+ rpm

If the map is very rich you can get unburned fuel burning in the runners, this would knock turbo temps up higher. Certainly what you say about all the runners coming together causing a pressure build up, would cause higher temps. However the gas flow in each runner is not constant. I have always believed 950 is too high anywhere in the system.

I am no expert but timing the key?