The mkiv Supra Owners Club

From TT to Single & From Auto to Manual

NOS

Hi alll,

I currently own a 400BHP TT Auto.

I am considering going from Auto to Manual and from TT to Single Turbo. There is a method to my madness - I want to gain 700+ BHP.

My friend (who does all the work on my Supra) and I spent a significant amount of time tonight discussing the matter and making lists of parts/items that we will need to buy before the project commences.

Before I get too excited, I want to acquire people's opinions (serious ones perferably!) on the topic.

For example, (i) Is it worth the effort; and more importantly, (ii) Is it worth the money? I know that this project, if commenced, will not be cheap so I would like to "leave no stones unturned" before making up my mind 100%.

:respekt:

Prob Cheaper to sell up and buy a good one already done, But if you do it is it worth the money? Well probably no, as youll never get your money back but

Just for the noise that a nice single makes on boost is awsome, some could say its worth it just because of that..

In reality are you gonna be able to use 700Hp on the road prob not that often, and i found my TT more 'friendly' than many of the singles ive driven.. Slower too lol

im in the process of doing this myself and have spend in excess of 25k on parts alone as im doing all the work myself. Check out my project thread to see whats involved. If you need any pointers drop me a line im happy to help.

Just out of interest how much have you been quoted for the work.

Re: Budget, my mechanic will be doing it free gratis so there will be no labour (just beers!).

We have gone through a list of parts etc. and I think it would be worth the money.

Watch this Space - I will keep you lot updated with pictures of our progress.

The first thing I'll say is get a drive in a single turbo Supra. It's a whole different ballgame to a TT.

I've had a Supra in every stage up to medium-sized single. I've had stock, BPU, BPU with hybrids, TTC, small single turbo and now my modest Borg Warner.

I suppose being 'worth the money' is a completely personal thing. I don't mind spending £50k on a car that is faster and more involving to drive than pretty much anything out there (in a straight line at least) but obviously there has to be a limit. I've done my modifications over five years, so didn't take the hit at once. If you're looking at fully building a Supra into a built engine, big turbo car in one go then I think your money may well be better spent buying something faster to begin with and playing with that. 996 911 turbo would be my choice.

If you're set on a big power Supra, my advice would be to do it in stages and end up with a reliable and fast car. 700bhp isn't an easy project, and you'll have to do a lot of work to build a car that can support it reliably.

The first thing I'll say is get a drive in a single turbo Supra. It's a whole different ballgame to a TT.

I've had a Supra in every stage up to medium-sized single. I've had stock, BPU, BPU with hybrids, TTC, small single turbo and now my modest Borg Warner.

I suppose being 'worth the money' is a completely personal thing. I don't mind spending £50k on a car that is faster and more involving to drive than pretty much anything out there (in a straight line at least) but obviously there has to be a limit. I've done my modifications over five years, so didn't take the hit at once. If you're looking at fully building a Supra into a built engine, big turbo car in one go then I think your money may well be better spent buying something faster to begin with and playing with that. 996 911 turbo would be my choice.

If you're set on a big power Supra, my advice would be to do it in stages and end up with a reliable and fast car. 700bhp isn't an easy project, and you'll have to do a lot of work to build a car that can support it reliably.

Helpful Gaz, thank you.

I don't want a Porsche or anything like that - I would not change from a Supra for any car.

I don't expect it to be an overnight success so if I decide to embark on this project, I am willing to take whatever time it takes to make it right.

Budget - Not 100% sure. I hope to spread the cost over a period of time.

I will purchase the necessaries together and go from there.

P.S. When I ask, "Is it worth the money?, I know I will never get the money back (I'm not expecting to) - I'm just wondering how satisfying it would be (when I joined this Forum I knew nothing about cars - now I know a bit) to have done your own thing.

From reading on here the prices for doing conversions:

Auto to manual £2.5/3k

TT to single £10k+ to do it properly

So there is at least 12k before any labour is involved. Will your mate do ALL of the work for free? It is a massive project to ask someone to do for beer lol. To get 700 bhp it will cost ALOT more, have a look at people's projects to see the sort of costs.

Then have a look at the classifieds at the minute. There are some very nice single cars coming up for sale at the moment from about 12k for a fully working car.

IMO it's not worth doing it yourself, let someone else spend all the money and then grab a bargain.

Will you be getting overnight parts from Japan?

Why not just stick a 300BHP shot of nitrous on there.

Or that, I would love to do that to a stock 6 spd with a decent clutch, hidden system and purge and run 10's at the pod claiming BPU.:rolleyes:

I'd sit down and think extremely carefully about it before you decide to do it.

Ive seen many people start huge projects, dismantle their carr ready for it then get halfway through it and either run out of money or lose faith and end up with half a car that they already had and a load of parts in a pile.

Work out how much it will cost you, then add another 2-3k for bits that you'l forget and will crop up in the process.

Cost can vary massively depending on what is done, build the engine with all the supporting mods or the half baked approach and just slap a turbo on a standard engine and hope it holds.

My honest opinion wish I had just bought the Porsche first too many supra's about now with the price drop over the last few years.

Edited by captainchaos (see edit history)

Only you can decide if it is worth the time, money and effort.

I took my time getting parts together. I researched, purchased, changed my mind many times before getting all that I have in the car now. By taking your time not only do you spread the cost but you are more likely to develop a package that delivers. I owe a lot to a few members here that helped no end with advice along the way. I went from BPU Auto TT to 6 speed sinlgle and quite cheaply considering the end result.

I have lost my total costs as they died with my old laptop, so I stopped counting at £24K. I must have spent at least £4K since then. If I had not taken my time and rushed to get what I have now it I have no idea what it would of cost, may be close to half again.

Was it worth it, you bet, just to drive it once and hear the engine scream at 8750 rpm, was enough.

I would advise you to spec everything so it is capable of more than you initially want to achieve. Big power is hugely addictive. Forget the stock block approach.